Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage 3 synth help: Bowie

Morizzle

Hi everyone,

I'll be playing keys in a stage production of Bowie's "Lazarus" soon, and I've been able to get all the sounds very close to the recordings on my trusty Nord Stage 3. Except for the sweep in the beginning of this tune... I've tried a few things but didn't manage to come up with something satisfactory yet. Any suggestions? My rig is NS3 and 88 key controller.

[video:youtube]

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, first let me tell you I'm insanely jealous I am that you have this awesome gig. ;) A big fan of Davie Bowie, I saw the movie on which this musical is based several times. Congratulations! This sweep could be done several ways (every synth is different) but my simple recipe would be :

1) two slightly detuned saw waves. (enough detuning to match the wobble rate that you are hearing about 6 seconds into the video)

2) these go into a band pass filter, slightly resonant, cutoff very low to start (I think I hear some keytracking on the filter but not much. )

3) open the filter from low to high during the duration of the sweep. (the sweep should end with that fizzy sound without the use of white noise)

4) no effects

5) your voicing should Bflat, Eflat and A natural .... The Bflat is close to the C below middle C and the other notes are stacked above.

That should get you close. You can fine tune from there. All the best! :cheers:

Wooah Tusker, thanks a lot! :thu: :thu: :thu:

That's pretty spot on, so easy, much better and more flexible than what I was working on! I really need to spend more time fiddling the knobs!

For some stupid reason, I was obsessing over getting the sweep right with a slow LFO, but now I'm just using my expression pedal for the cutoff and it works like a charm. Also thanks for going through the hassle to pick out the notes. According to the score it's just an Eb octave with the tritone in between.

If we ever cross paths IRL, beers are on me! :cheers:

I'm really looking forward to playing the show, we've got a great band and I'm excited to play all these greats arrangements by Henry Hey (killer keyboard player as well).

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.