Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best alternative for on-line mp3 hosting ?

Hello to everyone here! :) I think there are 3 main categories for distributing mp3's on-line. 1) Using free public music hosting services; like mp3.com, vitaminic.com etc. 2) Using public music hosting services with annual fee; like ampcast.com, besonic.com etc. 3) Using hosting service and offering mp3's on own website. I'm using mainly ampcast.com right now, but in the future it's possible that I'll use only option nr.3 ... and offer some free samples via own label site. Can a musician be taken seriously is he/she is using 'free' public music hosting services ? - Jukkis -
^ - ^

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A great resource for mp3's are private servers. [url=http://www.bigredh.com]Hotline[/url] offers server and client software and the best part is that its free. After you get the client software, you'll need to go to a site like [url=http://www.tracker-tracker.com]trackertracker[/url] . These sites are like directories to all the mp3's and files housed on these private servers, usually in some 12 year old nerd's bedroom. Most will let you freely enter, look around and download, but since they're private servers, some have rules that you have to obey, or are only open to members. I've seen hotline servers with over 10,000 mp3's on them. (still looking for construction of light - king crimson, though) I hope that was what you were asking for. :cool:

[quote]Originally posted by Jukkis: [b] Can a musician be taken seriously is he/she is using 'free' public music hosting services ? [/b][/quote] Why wouldn't they? The idea is to get the music to the intended audience in the simplest/quickest manner possible. Having said that, the free host's approach will make a big difference in how many listens you get. With mp3.com, for instance, who really wants to go through the sign-up process before they listen to the song?
meh

[quote]Originally posted by 'rold: [b] 1. Why wouldn't they? The idea is to get the music to the intended audience in the simplest/quickest manner possible. 2. Having said that, the free host's approach will make a big difference in how many listens you get. With mp3.com, for instance, who really wants to go through the sign-up process before they listen to the song?[/b][/quote] 1. yes, but there are lot of differences on how much 'free music' artists are offering on public music hosting sites. I think this also depends a lot from the stage of musical career. For beginners it might be good alternative to upload all new material freely available for listening. Indies who are already releasing cd's, it might be better idea to put only some free songs available for listening. 2. Many mp3.com artists have complained also about this. There are differences on registration process while entering to listen music on 'fresh site'. Some sites allow listening without registration.
^ - ^

[quote]Originally posted by thisDude: [b]oops?!! I just re-read your question and I think I misunderstood it or I must've been sleeping.... ZZZZ..... :cool: [/b][/quote] yes, I was asking something totally different. Thanks from the info anyway... it was new to me, I have never used Hotline servers for downloading mp3's.
^ - ^

Screw MP3.com! Seriously - they have a big thumbs down for me for their shady practices. My vote goes to Garageband.com - they're really cool, have the right ideas and are very supportive and non-corporate sounding. My kinda people. Keep in mind that it's more of a 'community' - you only get out of it what you put into it, but the returns are much, much better than anything you'll get at MP3.com. We have an average reviewer purchase rate of about 75% - meaning 75% of the people that do a review of a song buy the CD. In any case - check it out. It may not be for everyone, but I find it to be an absolute godsend. We still have a few songs up on MP3.com, but they don't garner us anywhere near the attention that Garageband does.

[quote]We have an average reviewer purchase rate of about 75% - meaning 75% of the people that do a review of a song buy the CD. [/quote] sounds really cool. I've had also 1 song there, but I never received much feedback (3 reviews). Maybe I've to check that site again. :=) -- my URL there : http://www.garageband.com/artist/ihokas I'm currently earning more reviews... :) [ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Jukkis ]
^ - ^

I've been thinking about the same thing. I'd kind of like to do the full-on original band site and host a few mp3s on the site, but I'm worried that the traffic costs will turn a cheap website ($5/month + annual fee for address) into a very expensive one ($20/month or more). What hosting services do people who choose to have a domain of their own use? Any to stay away from? Thanks. --JES

I think here was another thread about hosting services. here: http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=003795 I think the selection of hosting service depends much from where you're living (Europe/North America/Other). We have been planning to use http://puretec.de for Luumu Recordings, but it looks like they are only accepting German citizens for their customers. Well... luckily we have one german artist in our roster. :)
^ - ^

Archived