Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alanis Morrisette & Avril Lavigne

I think the appeal of Avril for me, is just that she symbolizes being young, uninhibited, reckless and of course energetic and beautiful. I remember being a wild teenager, and i remember the many girls i knew much like her. It's all Nostalgia, really, and i'm probably just taking the bait.

I'll admit i don't have any real musical interest in her, it's all just jealousy and lust. I mean, she is quite yummy to look at, but i don't know enough about her to know if there's any substance to her beyond that. Being so young, and being a record exec's lil bitch there probably isn't, but maybe there is. For her sake i hope that she can escape her shackles and do something useful with herself, but in a way, i kinda don't care.

It kinda seems as though she's already "faded away", but my perception is slanted because i don't watch MTV or subscribe to any Pop-Culture nonsense.

It still surprises me that Britney has lasted as long as she has.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Super 8:

The nice thing about Avril is that she hasn't had to take her clothes off in order to get our attention.

Imagine that.....

Well, I'll be honest, the most appealing thing about Morrisette to me is when she rolls her eyes back in her head while singing like she's having either an out-of-body experience or an intensely-in-body ;) experience.

One thing here really bewilders me. I know we all can have different opinions but I don't understand how some can claim they don't sound alike. I've only heard maybe 1/2 dozen songs by either (& that's enough, really, don't want to hear more) but the similarities in their vocals are blatant. It makes me wonder at what part of music you hear.

OT section:

BTW, Phaeton, John Fogerty's not Canadian.

& Celine Dion is a stylistic nightmare but she can control her voice like few others

Personally I was surprised to see a thread comparing them?!?

But as you say, you've only listened to a few tracks, maybe as I've listened to most of their stuff a lot I can differntiate it a lot more.

It's like a lot of people say all Queen songs are 'samey'. Proves they've never made an attempt to listen to it to me....

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Sorry, but alanis's first record 's success shoudl eb attributed to the producer. As he prepared the music, and all alanis did was coem ion and do some yelling over the music.

Kinda like Avrikl's first record.

It's pretty obvious form the crappy records after Morrissette's first record that she is no songwriter.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

I dunno, Base, I find it hard to believe that the few songs I've heard just happen to be the ones where they sing the same trills & melodic twists.

There may be many recording where this may be negligiable but it's there in the songs they've been promoting on TV lately.

Some of this may be written into the songs; perhaps they, like may today, draw from the same writers. but they also sing similarly.

Again, I'm not refering to musical tracks, etc., but to the fact that there's a vocal approach they share.

For lack of better input from others I'd now guess this must be from the most recent imitating the earlier established...but in any case it's so clear.

On the other hand, it's hardly a vital matter.

Btw....

I see all sorts of images of Avril holding a guitar (obvious publicity shots)... but has anyone seen or heard her play?

Is it just an "image" prop? I suspect so.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Archived