Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio CGP-700... Any good?

HSS

I was at a local GC today checking out the new Casio PX-s1000 and s3000 as a possible replacement for my 9 year-old Casio PX330 and saw a potentially really good clearance deal on a Casio CGP-700 return model still under warranty (or so the salesman claimed).

The CGP-700's action felt good and about the same as the Casio PX360 above it. In the noisy GC environment, the CGP-700's AP/EP sounds were decent although I understand that the CGP-700 doesn't have as good a sound engine and piano sounds as the PX360 (MXi vs. AIR sound engines). I confirmed that the CGP-700 is portable and about the same size as the 360 when it's detached from its speaker stand. The CGP-700 also has 1/4" lines out and USB midi.

I'm assuming, based on the above observations and checking out the manual as well some YouTube videos, that the CGP-700 could therefore be gig worthy. Am I missing something? Any comments from anyone with experience gigging with the CGP-700 would be greatly appreciated.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the CGP-700 is the same size and action as the PX-160, 360, 560, and 860. It is removable from the stand for gigging and fits in the same Privia gig bag all Casios fit in until this year"s slimmer PX-S models. All of the models I listed use the AiR sound engine of the time (not to be confused with the new AiR modeling on the new PX-S models that some call AiR 2 but Casio officially does not), but the CGP-700 does not have hammer response, string resonance, nor key off simulator the other models do.

Frankly, I think the CGP-700 suffered from poor marketing and product placement. It seemed to be targeted mostly at the very popular competing Yamaha model. Also, it could easily have been labeled as a PX model along with its clear siblings the 360 and 560. (This is not a hit on our friends at Casio America. I think they did what they could.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks for the lightening response Joe.

WRG to the CGP-700's AP sound, if I need higher-end AP sounds at a gig I guess I could use a VST or midi the CGP-700 to one of my other boards (e.g. NE 5d). In any case, I did think the CGP-700's onboard AP sounds are improved over my ancient PX330 and its action felt faster and more precise.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)