Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital Keyboard Recording, Notation Software & Transcribing from Tape

Craig recommended I post these questions on this forum. I am new to digital recording. My brother hooked me up with a Roland KR-575 digital keyboard along with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. What's the easiest (or best) way to get my very intricate and complex instrumental piano compositions recorded, notated and printed? Has anyone used Finale, Sebelius (sp?), Overture or Encore or any other good notation software pkg before? Any suggestions? Also, I recorded some complicated compositions onto reel-to-reel and don't remember how to play them. Is anyone really great at transcribing instrumental piano from an old tape? I appreciate any assistance or advice you could give me. Thanks, Randy Atlanta GA 678-547-3566

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most sequencing packages have a Notation function that will put your midi sequence lines into some basic notation. I'm sure Cakewalk must have something like that. But it you want a LOT of control over your notation then Finale, Sibelius, et al of the professional notation packages will do just fine. They all usually have a mode where you can play in real time and it will do an accurate job of transcription. Sometimes it's too accurate even though you can have control about what MIDI note values will not get transcribed. After all, the way we actually play and what's usually on a piece of sheet music isn't the same thing. I find that I like the step entry over the realtime playing thing because I usually have to do too much note cleanup with realtime entry. But whatever you like the notation packages can usually do. They have a lot of year's experiences put into them.

Archived