Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are all recorded songs identifiable?

Any song ever recorded... does it have an identifying number or something? How about a CD or even an old LP album? Is there a UPC number and if so, what is that? Is there a database of artists who have recorded works? How do you get or view that database?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b]Is there a database of artists who have recorded works? How do you get or view that database?[/b][/quote] [url=http://www.cdnow.com/]CD NOW[/url] comes close (with many, many sound clips to boot)...

I read something not too long ago about some 'listening device' they have set up in major cities that actually 'listens' to every song being broadcast on every local radio station, that allows companys like the Harry Fox agency to know what/who to bill for the use of paticular songs. I guess every song has a 'sonic signature' that the listening device is able to recognize and record. I don't remember if the article said this device is in use yet. Big Brother is coming...... -Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

hmmm there are an amazing amount of statistical variance in regards to the accuracy of such a method some i can think of right now are: 1) 'signiture' would be 'different' and therefore useless if the radio station edits/compresses the track (as we all well know they do) as the track would be altered in ways not reverse engineerable by the Listening Device in question. (can you imagine the processor power needed to reverse engineer THEORETICAL changes to a track received by RADIO!!!) 2) the obvious: radio broadcast. its crap quality. would the 'signiture' be defined at this crap quality or at 'mastered' quality? if the latter, would the Device be powerful enough to recognise? 3) cover songs.... heh heh maybe covered TOO well if you follow me... hate to see that royalty in the wrong hands > :p 4) why bother? i would NOT invest such amazingly large capital on RADIO. sure its not dead per se but come on, to me it seems like funding an 8-track cassete manufacturer to re-release disco records. 5) lets %^&*(^ JAM this baby up if it exists. find out where reciever points are and broadcast our own pirate stations in the vicinity of the Device, playing white noise interspersed with bits of pop songs. melt the processor trying to work out what the %^&* the track is, trying to filter transmission noise.... heh heh or 6) maybe im waaaaaaaaay off the mark. most likely by all accounts. it was fun anyway

Every mastered CD should contain an ISRC number. This number contains the Country of recording, Year of recording, Record Company, and Song Code Number. It is burned directly onto the CD.

Be a professional musician.

Or just sound like one!

Produce music with THOUSANDS of loops and effects.

Archived