Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Went to see an ELO Tribute band last evening

desertbluesman

Went to the Sundial in Sun City Az to see the Electric Light Overture tribute band to ELO. They did a nice job, but the sound-man must have been asleep at the wheel because the sound system although very capable was not well used. Funny how the sound guy can ruin a concert.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
+1 Sound guys can either add or subtract from what the artist wants the audience to hear...I like to hear what they hear when playing in front of an audience (i.e. with a good monitor system). I can sing and play much better when I can hear myself! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

My favorite lousy sound person horror story happened several years ago to my friend Greg. First, the snare drum was WAY louder than the rest of the drum kit. But the biggest mistake was when Greg went to play the guitar solo on "You've Got Another Thing Coming". Greg was using his amp, which was about ten feet behind him, as his monitor. While he could hear his own playing, he couldn't hear that his amp mike wasn't turned on, so it looked like he was playing air guitar on stage. A good or even mediocre sound guy would have noticed that. But the bar he was playing at had their own sound system and sound guy, and he was awful.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Went to the Sundial in Sun City Az to see the Electric Light Overture tribute band to ELO. They did a nice job, but the sound-man must have been asleep at the wheel because the sound system although very capable was not well used. Funny how the sound guy can ruin a concert.

No, actually it`s not the least bit funny, especially if it`s your sound getting ruined. It doesn`t help that no sound guy can be equally catastrophic.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

My favorite lousy sound person horror story happened several years ago to my friend Greg. First, the snare drum was WAY louder than the rest of the drum kit.

That's odd, because the usual, musically illiterate, clueless mixing mistake made by the majority of sound guys in rock clubs is to make the kick drum the loudest part of the mix.

But, be aware that clubs pay horribly. Good sound guys don't work in clubs because they can't afford to. Occasionally you find somebody who knows which end of a mic stand faces up, but even in larger regional venues the standards are rather low.

Scott Fraser

Tommy Emmanuel can control his sound on stage which takes care of how he wants his guitar and vocals to sound. He makes live final adjustments via his on-stage mixer and his monitor system. He has a contracted sound man that travels with him to make adjustments to the house system and monitor the show from the audience perspective. I can testify that there is not a bad seat in the house. The only reason to buy seats up close, is that's the best place to watch his fingers. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Good sound guys don't work in clubs because they can't afford to.

Depends on the BAND I would think.

My ex worked in a place that had local "stars" TOBY REDD show up routinely( the band CHAD SMITH was in before the Chili Peppers) and they brought along their OWN sound guy, and he did a GREAT job!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Well.

While we already strangled out the funny-but-not-part of the Q

(since a badlousian got-a-degree-&-alla-that-union-shting-head can wreck Airbody's night onna town...

WTF YA DOON AT AN ELO TRIBUNE BAND GIG ????!!!

???!!!

I mean, K-Really ?!

d=halfnote

Archived