Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Any good contemporary dance tune suggestions?

Bob L

The cover band I'm in has gotten into learning more 80s the past few months. Last year we did really well with Shawn Mendez "There's nothing holding me back", and "Can't Stop the Feeling" by JT. For those of you doing covers, are there any contemporary tunes (less than 3 or 4 years old) that pack the dance floor for you consistently? We are an all guy quartet so male vocal tunes only please. Our dancing audience is women 30-50 (and beyond). Tunes that are rockers are fine, as are pop tunes (we are there to bring the party ... not purist for any genre).

I'm concerned we are on a path to lose our contemporary "edge" which sets us apart from other bands in the area. So hoping to suggest some tunes recorded more recently that I am confident will get the crowd up on their feet. "Can't Stop the Feeling" is probably the best investment in a contemporary tune we have made in a while.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off the top of my head:

Get Lucky

Uptown Funk/24K Magic (Also Treasure, Bruno's got you covered)

Cake By The Ocean (Hate playing this one but probably relatively easy for a smaller band to recreate)

Moves Like Jagger

Shape Of You (if you need a ballad Sheeran is also a safe bet in every way lol)

Also keep in mind that 90s/00s is becoming prime nostalgia for dance floors. Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, NKOTB, even stuff like Smashmouth or Three Doors Down could connect really well. And hey, don't forget that a middle-aged man singing Britney Spears' "Toxic" or "Oops, I Did it Again" is always a hit :thu: (Sorry, I'm maybe assuming you/your bandmates age!)

New stuff is pretty much all we do. This year has been pretty poor for dance material though. A lot of mid tempo yuk. So We added some new material but this year we injected some Oldies into the set and they worked. Pump It and I Gotta Feelin by Black Eyed Peas. Shoop and Push It by Salt and Peppa. And the old House of Pain tune Jump Around is back in the set.

Contemporary is probably relative. The two girls are our featured vocals but we have two good Male voices and a male rapper. We do a lot of good male stuff. Wobble, Fireball, some FloRida tunes, the old Usher tune DJ Has us falling in Love. Maroon 5 just a lot of stuff. It depends on how adept you are at using gear and one shot sampling helps. You need risers and drops. Watch some EDM videos on YouTube and steal some of their techniques. Current Dance Pop falls on your back and what your vocalist can sell. The new good male dance stuff the vocalists have to own it. Especially the rap parts. Turn Down for Wat is still killer.

We are retiring Get Lucky. I'm just sick of it. I've been doing it since it was new. It's currently the only heavy vocoder tune in the set. Nice that I don't need to setup the vocoder anymore. I wouldn't mind doing the old Kanye song Stronger if we bring Get Lucky back in the future.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived