Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Learning Blues Turnaround Progression

MisterLutherMan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an OK source, MrLuther, but keep in mind that the best way to learn musical concepts is to listen to the most representative original source material.

Sources that are telling you about those original sources are helpful but inherently secondary. I think they are most helpful when yer maybe having a hard time tryna figure out a specific phrase or something of that nature.

The potential problem w/getting yer info primarily from secondary sources is that yer only exposed to what that source knows or is sharing.

If they have a limited knowledge bank, you may miss whatever that source (or combined sources) can't provide.

What sort of blues music are you hip to at this point ?

What got you into it ?

:snax:

d=halfnote

I come from a completely different school of soloing thought. I use Major and minor pentatonic scales for the most part. However I also use the full major or minor scale thrown in. From there I learned how to place the solo's over the chord progression by doing, not by listening to others. I wanted to be an original solo writer, so I learned the alphabets meaning which scales to use against chord progressions. I balked at doing arpeggios, because the only thing I wanted to think about was which scale to use to play over which key. Once I was there I just wanted to go from sound to sound without calculating which arpeggio to use over which chord in the progression. In other words with a lack of exact thinking over which notes to place where, I left myself open to improvisational ideas which could pop into my head as I was creating.

With blues, I usually just tried my best to play what I feel without thinking too academically about it. Just my best emotionally honest response to what's being played.

I've played that first clip's cliche about a thousand or more times over the years, but never(in my memory) that high up the neck.

ONE variation of it is at the beginning of THIS classic!

(and rare SG glimpse of Jimi)

https://youtu.be/INniLPDgQRU

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

+1 DBM, I come from the same school. I use the Pentatonic major and minor and align them with 5 modes of the full major and minor scales. I always throw in the flat 5 in the Pentatonic scales. My arpeggio knowledge is limited and I mostly use them in my rhythm guitar playing as opposed to my lead work (I know I should get into this area more some day). I also throw in a little chromatic run here and there and the actual melody line now and then just to break things up a bit. Most of this is just to be using the right intervals over the chord progressions. I pretty much stick to the major and minor modes but will venture into the others as well. I'm not playing scales, just drawing from them and improvising my leads. If I find myself repeating a lick or lead line here and there I will memorize it automatically and use it as opposed to improvising. But, it is original and came from my improvisation.

I previewed the YouTube link I posted in response to the OP's request before posting it. I found myself picking up a few little ideas and concepts (which can be done when playing with others and/or sharing ideas that I play with). One area the video player hit on was in what I call the 3rd position of the Pentatonic minor. I have a little lick I like to use, but the poster's little lick will cause me to go back and check it out again as he shared a little different idea that I might want to hear more of. He also made little comments on chord fragments and where his licks were coming from. Which caused me to pull out a page in one of my books and started me to studying them and applying the scale locations from their reference points. Anyway, you can pick up ideas from just about anyone.

When researching my new material from old tunes, I like to go back and listen to the originals. Not to copy their leads, but to get a grip on how the song was structured, the right chords, the right lyrics, the right leads, etc. Then I do it in my own arrangement and vocal key while keeping true to the gist of the original song... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

This dude's a bit gabby, and why he chose "A" to display this cliche( usually heard in "E") I'll never know.

I'm referring to the first one he illustrates, and sorry if this clip's too long to be really tolerable, but it was the only one I could find with the example I was looking for.

You can if you wish, sit through all his other palaver.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

...why he chose "A" to display this cliche( usually heard in "E") I'll never know...

Well, he is addressing transposing keys.

ONE variation of it is at the beginning of THIS classic!

(and rare SG glimpse of Jimi)

Always room for more JH at my house !

Interesting to see him using the SG...but I'm bemused that the stage announcer---remember: that was in Sweden---has one of the most pronounced English accents East of Eric Idle.

[Oh & imagine you were John "Mitch" Mitchell & the loudness level playing w/JH (& prime offender here, Noel R) made yer snare drum rattle constantly :roll: ]

d=halfnote

WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND & TURNS AROUND, TOO

[video:youtube]

BONUS DEEP BLUESIFICATION OBSFUCATION

feat. one of the oldest & one of the youngest

THEN ZIG-ZAGGING

TURNAROUND FROM THE AULD TO THE NEW

JUST LIKE THE YEAR'S ABT TO DO

here's Duane & Dickey---I mean Derek & Warren

showing how everything old becomes new again, too

d=halfnote

There are so many resources out there to help with technique. YouTube alone is amazing, so much easier that it was back in the old days. Of course discussion boards like this are invaluable. Back in the day you had to really work to figure out licks by replaying records over and over again.

The sneakily subversive point of some of my nefarious multi-posts is that's more than one way to skin a cat, if ya follow the way I'm walkin'....

Here's 2 or 3 more

d=halfnote

Archived