Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT: vocal mic redux

J. Dan

We've had conversations before - looking for updated advice.

For a very long time (12-15 years?) I've been using a Beyerdynamic Opus 89 and have been very happy with it. It's dynamic (which I want to stick to, no condensors), hot output, wide response, low handling noise (low noise transmitted through my boom adapter from my keyboard stand as well). I got lots of compliments over the years from sound guys. But alas, it's dead and I think I damaged the capsule even more attempting a delicate repair, so it's time to move on.

The Opus 89 is discontinued and my best guess if I stuck with Beyerdynamic would be that the TG V70d would be the closest equivilent currently offered. Does anybody know this to be the case? I remember also liking Audix OM7 except the odd shape, and liking the Heil products. But if I can just keep as close as possible to the that Opus 89, that would be my preference.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big time fail for sweetwater. Bought the opus 89 from them, but not buying again. Email from them shows they're clueless and just want sales. done.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Big time fail for sweetwater. Bought the opus 89 from them, but not buying again. Email from them shows they're clueless and just want sales. done.

It isn't clear what Sweetwater did here. Was it an issue with trying to repair the mic or not offering advice on what might be a good replacement?

Glancing at the specs on the Opus 89, I'd say a Sennheiser e945 might be in the same ballpark. It is a great mic, but no one vocal mic is best for everyone...

Heil makes really good stuff but all their vocal mics are cardioids.

-Z-

When on the microphone page they have what looks like a chat box and I asked if that mic would be a the current model from Beyerdynamic. Well it turns out it wasn't a chat box, but sent an email. I got a response a day later that was basically a non answer and I should check with Beyerdynamic.

Dan

Archived