Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

software to create virtual musicians for live performing

I have a performing combo and I need a drummer and bass player but I don't want to audition for them! I want to use my laptop to create virtual band members without having to sacrifice flexibility and real-time performance spontaneity. [it would be nice to throw in some horn and string accompaniment on certain songs as well]

Im researching software that is controllable from my keyboard to randomly select songs and repeat/extend leads, verses, choruses, etc. without having to touch my laptop. So Ive been evaluating Ableton Live since it seems best suited for live performance. I've also looked at Band in a Box since it looks good for composing and creating vocal harmonies and MIDI instrumental arrangements.

However, I haven't determined if these 2 packages are complimentary and/or compatible. I.e. can I easily import files I create in BIAB to Live and manipulate them flexibly? I'm also still wondering if there are better (or additional) software choices for what I want to do.

So far Im using a Roland A-90 expandable controller keyboard and a Windows laptop.

music, the ulitmate vehicle

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might look at Soundtrek Jammer Pro for composition. Think of it as BIAB with more features. A lot deeper and takes more to learn. I was unhappy with the restrictive qualities of BIAB years ago, and figured, well, they went up about 6 upgrades...maybe it'll be better. Nope. Not for what I want it for.

BIAB has a limited number of tracks to play with. It has fewer editing options. Jammer is more linear composing, than BIAB. Jammer has more "feel" than BIAB, which seems much stiffer.

Actually, though, I did find some uses for BIAB.

It does a pretty good job of importing a MIDI file, and figuring out chords. Not perfect, but close. Since it has different styles than Jammer, I have just started the basic seed of something in BIAB, imported it into Jammer, and tweaked it much better, then put it into Cakewalk to get the stuff I wanted to sound "more" real. Also, I found that you can get some unusual stuff by "blending" styles in both BIAB and Jammer. (Funk bass with Raggae drums and Motown horns?)

Also, BIAB does have a few good horn patterns that would be hard to do with the keyboard.

Basically, I try to get a pretty complete MIDI composition, then replace stuff like bass and Hammond or piano by recording. (Of course, I never try to put any electric guitar in MIDI...I just leave space for that to record the real thing in the first place). I've gotten some pretty convincing stuff started out of Jammer. Slow down a jazz style for Pink Floydish moody drums, etc.

As far as using Ableton Live? I got a copy of that bundled with my Delta 1010, and didn't have a use for it, so I uninstalled it. Couldn't say if any of them would work well with it.

Good luck,

Tele :freak:

Originally posted by keyboardinator:

I have a performing combo and I need a drummer and bass player but I don't want to audition for them! I want to use my laptop to create virtual band members without having to sacrifice flexibility and real-time performance spontaneity. [it would be nice to throw in some horn and string accompaniment on certain songs as well]

Basically you're looking to create backing tracks to play live while your jamming on your keyboard, right? Cool thought.

Im researching software that is controllable from my keyboard to randomly select songs and repeat/extend leads, verses, choruses, etc. without having to touch my laptop. So Ive been evaluating Ableton Live since it seems best suited for live performance. I've also looked at Band in a Box since it looks good for composing and creating vocal harmonies and MIDI instrumental arrangements.

I know nothing about Band In A Box but I'd definetely recommend you Ableton Live. It's very flexible and "performance-oriented".

However, I haven't determined if these 2 packages are complimentary and/or compatible. I.e. can I easily import files I create in BIAB to Live and manipulate them flexibly? I'm also still wondering if there are better (or additional) software choices for what I want to do.

I don't see a reason why you wouldn't. I do pretty much the same with Propellerhead Reason . I create sounds and loops and record them in Ableton Live where they can be arranged and triggered in real time.

Another cool software to use live is Emagic's Logic 6, but it only runs on the Macintosh platform, and since you're a Windows user... it wouldn't be an option. Same thing with MOTU's Digital Performer.

So far Im using a Roland A-90 expandable controller keyboard and a Windows laptop.

(Depending on your computer's power) That'll do the trick. ;)

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Live and Reason seem to be a fav for folks I know but if that fails you should look at:

Sinfonia®

http://www.rms.biz/docs/images/sinfonia.gif

Realtime Music Solutions has developed patented technology that allows for easy programming of very subtle and nuanced performances. As a musical instrument, Sinfonia® becomes transparent in the pit. The live ensemble never plays to a click-track. Sinfonia® - as played by a musician - follows the conductor. It becomes a natural part of the ensemble with an integrated sound quality that matches the live instruments.

It has the dual benefit of pissing a lot of people off and is really expensive! :P

As far as moving projects between BIAB and Live, that might kind of be apples and oranges, because Live is oriented toward manipulating audio, while BIAB is a MIDI program. If you want to move BIAB projects to Live, you'll probably have to record them to audio. Live makes matching and arranging audio loops intuitive, while BIAB is a collection of prearranged and editable styles which you use to drive a GM synth. It has support for synth patches beyond GM, and for audio tracks and VST, but it is at heart a GM sequencer. It makes a good practice tool or sketchpad, or restaurant-gig accompaniment. I could see exporting a MIDI file and using it in Logic, but it doesn't seem to me to be a good complement to Live. Maybe Jammer or this new Onyx program would suit you better.

Archived