Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The magic of music

d  halfnote

Just became aware of this song & perf.

Yeah, they just came back into the limelight,

hit movie & all but while I liked some of their stuff,

I mostly considered Q a generic pop band but this---in the best way of rock music---carries suggested meanings that go beyond what's stated outright.

In this case perhaps addressing the malaise that sometimes affects any of us but also the larger social antipathy that seems to've blanketed not just the USA but the world overall.

Uh, too bad we're still waiting for the magic 35 tears later.

"The waiting seems eternity" :facepalm:

Plus Mercury sings w/real nuance & May is just rippin' that gtr ! :rawk:

The Magic starts @ 3:10 ... goes away, returns ... goes & returns---just like in real life !

[video:youtube]

As another example, lemme posit this:

John Lennon's deepest expression of togetherness came packaged w/some of his silliest lyrics here over a spiraling gtr riff.

The magic moment ?

The improvised vocal fall-aways @ 2:11 & 2:12 where he & P demonstrate a playfulness largely missing from their day-to-day.

What's you got ? :snax:

d=halfnote

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I get your post.

Those magic bars in a song where there is a striking symmetry of instrumental parts, vocal, drums. It involves subtle dynamics or not so subtle dynamics- like a big sweep of energy, emotional adrenalin , etc.

I know, that is wordy. But the musical magic that strikes in a song or a solo needed more expounding. Keep in mind, I think/view/see/hear this as a song writer.

Not to pimp my originals, but I have bumped into creating this energy. Its more accident than deliberate.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

The great Sir Eric had numerous fiery solos.

If we are referring or hearing the same 'magic' I hear several bars where Crossroads has an audible 'lift'

[70's Songwriter]

Heh!

Yesterday on a local newscast was a story of a hospice care nurse who started singing to a 90+ year old patient( song was "You Light Up My Life") and soon the old guy started singing along and his doctor claims since then his prognosis has improved. :love:

At the end of the report, the newscaster said, "Wow. The magic of music!"

;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Heh!

Yesterday on a local newscast was a story of a hospice care nurse who started singing to a 90+ year old patient( song was "You Light Up My Life") and soon the old guy started singing along and his doctor claims since then his prognosis has improved. :love:

;)

Whitefang

LOL. Much of what we see on ' media ' is dumbed down reporting to a 3rd grade comprehension level

[70's Songwriter]

When I was a kid, my mother loved "Killer Queen" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "You're My Best Friend" and "We Are The Champions"... I thought they were awesome.

I hang screwing their popularity in America on doing the Flash Gordon soundtrack... that and the record "Hot Space," which (besides the irresistible "Under Pressure") was a lame dance record...

The movie... is aggravating. To be an "official" biopic, it screws big with chronological sequence, reduces bassist John Deacon - who wrote hits songs for the band - into just being a joke of a boring ride anonymous ride along... and it strangely tries to place any decadent behavior solely on Mercury in his openly gay period, which isn't true... I work with people who were in radio and attended the infamous party Queen threw in New Orleans in the late '70s. I think the world has become again so repressed and socially anxious that it can't handle the reality of swinging '60's London and the '70s and '80s... which is why everytime someone like Bowie dies there's people screaming about how he slept with 13-year old groupies and was a horrible person, which he might've been but the music world was decadent and a moral-free zone... the other members of Queen seem to try to blame that all on the gays in their midst, despite hinting that drummer Roger Taylor was popular with the ladies in spite of being married.

There's a BBC documentary called Queen The Days of Our Lives that's much better at telling the actual story, though I still want to see more of the 70's hard/art/prog rock-era because I think they were remarkable at that... the live concerts I've watched... I mean, honestly, I haven't seen any Led Zeppelin footage that was that good and that stunning of a performance.

When I was a kid, my mother loved "Killer Queen" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "You're My Best Friend" and "We Are The Champions"... I thought they were awesome.

I hang screwing their popularity in America on doing the Flash Gordon soundtrack... that and the record "Hot Space," which (besides the irresistible "Under Pressure") was a lame dance record...

I am in my 60's. Queen was not a fav of mine, as much as I was into progressive rock.

The Flash Gordon score was lame and solidified my opinion of their material.

Just the same, I would like to see an AXS type presentation of the band history.

Something thorough and thoughtful not just a wash/rinse/repeat of their ' most pop ' songs.

[70's Songwriter]

Heh!

;)

Whitefang

LOL. Much of what we see on ' media ' is dumbed down reporting to a 3rd grade comprehension level

I think it's a cool little story but then again, I'm not as smart as a 3rd grader LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Well, I'm not in that stupid "mainstream media=fake news" herd of sheep, but the main point of my posting that story was the anchor's use of the THREAD TITLE! ;)

I'm not sure if this thread is supposed to be a discussion of QUEEN or not, but I'll jump in...

Never a BIG fan, but not a "hater" either. I liked quite a bit of their stuff, and really dug May's solos, but just never could get into "Bohemian Rhapsody". :sick: And too, it seemed Freddie never COULD get a good haircut. :D

Whitefang

Never been a fan of Queen, but I pretty much accepted their music at every ball game LOL! +1 Fang, on Brian May and his red guitar.

He has some great leads and is part of rock history. +1 P90 their music is awesome. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I wonder why everyone think's this thread is abt Queen... :rolleyes:

I don't get it. You gave 2 different examples. Title was clear.

I realize folks gravitate to what they mostly know or relate to.

[70's Songwriter]

It's abt the magic of music's effect on ppl's psyches.

The Queen track was just a single example.

I thought there'd be more abt the magic...

almost all comments related to Q.

Here's Sly Stone like you never heard him---w/a jazz violinist !

That's Sid Page, one-time meber of Dan Hick's Hot Licks & later leader of jazzbo band The Point (c.late 1970s).

Not just a cool solo but, hey, Sly + funk fiddle ! :freak::cool:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ptrc2cWRxU

d=halfnote

Those cats just got coverage in GPlayer, didn't they ?

Pretty soulful track (if a little bs heavy) !

I like how they're not afraid to bend the tempo.

My moment would be the solo that starts @ 5:25---

"Class, can you say, 'Jazz-inflected' ?" :cool:

d=halfnote

For me, I guess, any "magic of music" effects on me are really too numerous to be able to pare down to one or just a few examples. After all, I've been LISTENING to music avidly and enthusiastically for the last SIXTY THREE YEARS!!

;)

Whitefang

Those cats just got coverage in GPlayer, didn't they ?

Pretty soulful track (if a little bs heavy) !

I like how they're not afraid to bend the tempo.

My moment would be the solo that starts @ 5:25---

"Class, can you say, 'Jazz-inflected' ?" :cool:

I don't read the mag, but I'm sure they did. They're slowly climbing the popularity escalator. His guitar chops are firmly rooted in jazz fusion, along with an assortment of other flavors, but stuff like this is pretty telling of his influences:

That horn section... man...

For me, I guess, any "magic of music" effects on me are really too numerous to be able to pare down to one or just a few examples.

Needn't be yer 1,2 or even 333 faves, pally, just something that you find affecting & wanna turn others onto...along, perhaps w/ some guiding comments abt what/how it hits ya.

d=halfnote

I don't read the mag...

You should.

W/all due respect to Mike Molenda, GPlayer has taken some editorial turns in the past few months that bode well for its future.

I think the new corporate owners may be committed to bringing it up to the sales level of companion mag Gtr World w/out compromising it's range of coverage.

Longer articles (though not up to the epic interviews of The Olden Days), expanded Frets section, etc.

If nothing else, we should at least, I think, take some steps to support that (& let them know what we like or don't) rather than just piling up here to yak at each other... after all if they don't have success, this place could be no place.

If ya wanna talk the talk sometimes ya gotta walk the walk...or somethin' like that. :D

d=halfnote

Threads are living organisms with minds of their own. You mention something and people react to it however they will... because it is a conversation of back and forth and gets steered by the participants. I've been on message boards (which are dying breed, really) that tried to tightly control discussions and they died a very quick death.

The only "control" I've noticed on other boards was the restrictions about discussing politics and/or religion. The TCM( Turner Classic Movies) boards does have a special page for those kinds of discussions, and it works out well THERE, but I recall they tried it HERE some time ago, and it's since disappeared. Which is good in a way, since you really don't notice much of a THINK TANK going on in them anyway. :freak::laugh:

Whitefang

I just saw the movie Bohemian Rhapsody last night. It is an excellent movie, and I strongly recommend seeing it, unless you are a stickler for historic fact. History kinda got rewritten in a few places to make for a better storyline. Several examples: In the movie, Brian, Roger, and John get angry about Freddie wanting to make his own solo album. However, the movie overlooks the fact that Roger Taylor made two solo albums and Brian May had his own solo project at that same time. The movie also has the band breaking up, and then rejoining for the July 1985 Live Aid concert. Queen did two huge shows in Rio De Janeiro in January 1985, and finished off a tour with shows in Australia and Japan in April and May.

Probably the biggest historical rewrite was claiming that Freddie knew he had AIDS in 1985, and wanted to have one last big show before he died. The truth is that he was diagnosed with AIDS in 1987, and they went out on their final tour in 1986. And the biggest fact of all that was not discussed in any way was that at the Live Aid concert, Freddie was 38 years old, coming up on 39. That's an age where all those minor aches and pains and sore muscles and nagging little injuries that don't heal a day later start catching up to you.

Aside from all that, it was a very enjoyable movie, and I highly recommend seeing it.

I rock; therefore, I am.

Threads are living organisms with minds of their own. You mention something and people react to it however they will... because it is a conversation of back and forth and gets steered by the participants. I've been on message boards (which are dying breed, really) that tried to tightly control discussions and they died a very quick death.

Hip to all that, PJ & not tryna control as much as open the gate wider.

d=halfnote

Archived