Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In praise of Gordon Beck

marino

I was adjusting my car's driver seat the other day, when I noticed that underneath it there was a small drawer, that I had not opened in years. It contained six or seven CDs; among them the excellent "Experiments with Pops", led by John McLaughlin on guitar and British pianist Gordon Beck. An album that I know almost note-by-note, and a pinnacle of European jazz.

But even more interesting was a solo piano CD by Beck himself, recorded live for BBC at the Bath Festival in 1997, and called "Reflections". After a moment of, um, reflection, I realized that I had never listened to it! For some reason, after buying it, I had put it in that small, almost hidden drawer and forgot about it for years.

Well, I listened to the whole CD while driving in traffic, and it was the best musical surprise in a long time. Fantastic, energetic playing, always clear and punctual, virtuosic without exhibitionism, and with a great sense of melody and pianistic "orchestration".

Now, Gordon Beck has been a big influence on my playing; in my own little world, I have always envied his facility and fluid pianism - even more impressive if you think that he was largely self-taught. His solo album "Reasons" stunned me in the 80s, with such polyphonic density and effective distribution of the hands' roles... I really wanted to be able to play like him. (I still do, but I think there's little hope by now... :D )

Jokes aside, of course he played with Phil Woods, Didier Lockwood, Nucleus, Michael Brecker, and he was the only acoustic piano player ever considered by Allan Holdsworth to establish a regular collaboration with.

To me, he's one of the unsung heroes of music. People like Dick Hyman, Mike Garson, Billy Childs, Geoffrey Keezer, and many others who dedicated their lives to the pursuit of quality and depth in music, without preoccupations about reaching superstardom, and being (usually) open, unassuming guys. They make the world a better place without asking much in return.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure would like to know those passing and turn around chords he uses going to Am7b5, Ab7 etc. descent, between the A sections, going to bridge and at the end of the tune going back to the top. I've never heard those chords used there. Nice arrangement.

This is great Carlo, outstanding playing ! Thanks. I was familiar with him and Phil Woods European Rhythm Machine but not much else. An unsung hero most certainly.

And agree- so many great Artists and so little understanding and appreciation. :(

This is great Carlo, outstanding playing ! Thanks.

And agree- so many great Artists and so little understanding and appreciation. :(

Just listened. That video was posted 4 years ago and has 27 views. You are correct, Dave. :(

:nopity:

Sure would like to know those passing and turn around chords he uses going to Am7b5, Ab7 etc. descent, between the A sections, going to bridge and at the end of the tune going back to the top. I've never heard those chords used there. Nice arrangement.

Yes, the bridge sounds like it's totally reharmonized... but Beck also knew how to improvise freely in certain spots.

This is great Carlo, outstanding playing ! Thanks. I was familiar with him and Phil Woods European Rhythm Machine but not much else. An unsung hero most certainly.

Several greats used him as a sideman, which didn't prevent him to make about 20 albums under his name. I especially like the two albums he did with French violinist Didier Lockwood. Unfortunately, I have lost them when I sold all my vynil records in block... btw the first one is called "New World", and contains a great/superfast version of "Giant Steps".

Thanks for posting Carlo, had not heard of him. Inspiring playing!

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

What a player. Difficult to think of many other keyboard players who would complement Holdsworth's unique playing as well.

I remember hearing Beck on AH's "None Too Soon" - which was the first time I had heard Holdsworth play standards. Was an unfortunate decision to put Gordon Beck behind a digital piano, which I remember reading was not GB's first choice. Would have much preferred that release had they chosen to use an actual piano (or, at least a less-brittle, harsh sounding digital).

Still, his playing is amazing on that release as well. I didn't realize he left behind as large a recorded discography as he had.

I remember hearing Beck on AH's "None Too Soon" - which was the first time I had heard Holdsworth play standards. Was an unfortunate decision to put Gordon Beck behind a digital piano, which I remember reading was not GB's first choice. Would have much preferred that release had they chosen to use an actual piano (or, at least a less-brittle, harsh sounding digital).

Tim, IIRC, "None Too Soon" was recorded in Allan's personal studio, on a tight budget - so, no money to rent a good grand piano, or space to put it in. Sad to say, Holdsworth had a lot of financial troubles in the last 20 years of his career. Gordon Beck accepted to play a digital piano just for his friendship with Allan.

Btw, the great arrangement of "Norwegian Wood" is from Beck, too.

Archived