Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Herbie/LA Phil

Dave Bryce

There are times it's really cool to be living in LA.

Psyched to see this show tonight.

Selections by Herbie Hancock with and without orchestra to be announced from the stage

Like the city he calls home, Herbie Hancock has played a profound role in the shaping of modern culture. He is part of the evolution of jazz and he continues to innovate with every concert. Hell bring that future-facing vision to bear for a night of epic improvisations and mind-expanding zeal.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really great in a lot of ways, a bit less in others.

We were seated on the side, and the way the array was configured - only one small side fill - a bunch of the mids weren't there, and our mix got dominated by Vinnie Colauita's drums. Not the worst thing to happen - Vinnie rules - but I did kinda want to hear the grand piano...

The selections were interesting. Only did three with the orchestra - Watermelon Man, one I can never remember the name of that has an awesome bass clarinet part (Marcus Miller popped in to play that) and, believe it or not - Rockit. With the LA Phil. Me, I'd have closed with that. The orchestra was there to do a thirty minute piece before Herbie as well, and I guess they wanted to go home...so they got the section with them out of the way first.

They had the same DJ who did the record there to scratch. His rig didn't work when the tune started, and I symapthized as I watched him struggle with it. He fixed it before his solo.

Then, the orchestra left, and they did a few bits from Headhunters, Actual Proof, Canteloupe Isalnd and one or two others I didn't recognize. All were pretty great, but the energy after the LA Phil bit was...diminished. Closed the show with Chameleon.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived