Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musical Directors

Two questions about these folks-one, how if at all do they differ from a bandleader or conductor and two, I tend to associate them with larger ensembles but even some bands use them-do they ensure a better performance or stifle creativity?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two questions about these folks-one, how if at all do they differ from a bandleader or conductor and two, I tend to associate them with larger ensembles but even some bands use them-do they ensure a better performance or stifle creativity?

1. MD's are just like a band leader. They are responsible for charting songs and leading the rehearsals/gigs.

2. I would say every act out there, where there is a solo performer and a 'backup band', that the band has an MD. Don't laugh now, but I know that the band Jessica Simpson tours with has an MD and he does just what I mentioned. He'll let the band know what songs they are doing, sending out CD's and charts for rehearsal. During the gig he'll 'conduct' through some of the endings and such...after the track is done playing.

I don't think it hurts the creativity at all and in fact think it helps everyone play together and better. Just my two cents.

Sound Designer,

Red Storm Entertainment

Groeg, in addition to the responsibilities you laid out, the musical director usually has authority to hire and fire musicians within some framework indicated by the artist and their management. Most artists don't want to deal with hiring musicians, although they certainly can fire anyone on their staff or in their band if they dislike the situation.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I know a few cats who have done the M.D. gig... for acts like Dusty Springfield, Paul Anka, stuff like that. But it's not limited to old time / larger band situations. There will be a MD on, say, the Madonna, Michael Jackson, etc. tours too.

Archived