Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Speaking of being sold...

Bob Gollihur

This just showed up on BPMag's Facebook page:

Bass Player Magazine

59 mins ·

Bass Player Family,

When we debuted our first issue of Bass Player magazine almost 30 years ago, it was cause for celebrationan announcement that bass players were here to stay. No longer did we get just a few pages in a guitar publication. As fanatical bass players and bass fans, it was a joy to be the voice of the bass community and to put our heroes front and center. Since then, weve been honored to cultivate and serve that tight-knit and supportive community: artists, gear manufacturers, luthiers, instructors, authors, and historians of the bass world. Most important, though, has always been serving our readers. Nothing has been more fulfilling in our lifelong careers as writers and editors.

Now, on the eve of our 30th anniversary, we are no longer at the helm of that ship. Bass Player was recently acquired by a U.K.-based publisher, Future PLC. Beginning with the November issue, BP will be absorbed by the British Bass Guitar magazine, but will continue to be published in the U.S. as Bass Player.

The aesthetic of the new BP will be different. No more Community section, full-song transcriptions, or record reviews, and a different take on gear reviewsa different set of priorities, and a distinctly English flavor. The merge means many of our writers, editors, and production staff have been let go or relieved of their former roles. Bass publishing veteran and current Bass Guitar editor Joel McIver will run the magazine. Like you, we are curious to see where hell take the Bass Player brand.

Youll likely continue to see some familiar names in the new Bass Player. After all, there arent that many veteran bass writers out there. But we BP lifers are adamant about keeping our original mission statementto dig deeper and serve the bass communityalive in some form. Please drop us a line to share your vision for the future, or just to let us know what Bass Player has meant to you. We cant thank you enough for your continued loyalty, love, and support.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that's interesting, not to mention a bit frightening. The Community section has always been one of my favorite spots to visit. Let's hope it doesn't become just another pusher of whatever gear pays the highest advertising dollar. That would be a damn shame.

To those who are gone and to those who remain, thank you for years of pleasure, knowledge and F-clef fun. Let's see where this new direction takes us. As long as it isn't Derek Smalls and 'Jazz Odyssey', we're probably cool.

Play. Just play.

I see Britain has launched it's insidious attack to "take back the colonies". First, they go after our media.....

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about cancelling at this point. Just not digging the new format and content.

I just got the latest edition and thought, "Wait ... when did I subscribe to People magazine."

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived