Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Latest Guitars

caedmon

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My personal latest guitar as of a few months ago is...

well, I love my Danelectro 12 string electric, but starting wondering if it would hold up to road work... as it is a sliver of the top is missing in one corner from someone knocking the case off a stage...

So, pleasantly there are electric 12 string options these days...

Italia has a Rickenbacker-like model (but with a neck that's wider so I can play it)...

Gretsch has an affordable Eletromatic hollowbody model...

Hagstrom and D'Angelico and Dean have cool 12-string takes on the ES-335 and ES-175...

Ibanez has a semi-hollow electric 12...

ESP has a Fender XII-like model (but it might be out of production)...

and Eastwood has a few, based on Gretsches, Mosrites, Gibson/Epiphones, and a recreation of the Charvel Surfcaster 12...

then, Fender is starting Japanese production of the 12 string Strat, again...

and the one I picked is...

An orange 90s Charvel Surfcaster that popped up, priced cheaper than the Eastwood re-issues... it needed a little electronics TLC and set up massage, but I know a guy...

Very cool guitar, plays well... perfect, and dang cool looking, too. I have it strung with Rickenbacker flatwood strings... the flatwounds help electric 12s by taking a bit of the treble out of the normal course strings and letting the octave strings shine a bit more.

Identical to the one I bought:

4122202839_6a31d7ec73_b.jpg

Hey, it's the actual one I bought:

http://bestguitarsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/early-90s-charvel-surfcaster-orange-white-top-12-string-ultra-rare.jpg

Cool little 12 P90, Congrats! I have a buddy that likes to buy Charvel Teles and rework the electronics. Does custom artwork on the bodies too...nice playing guitars at low prices. The flatwounds will also reduce a lot of finger squeaking and are easy on the fingers for barre chords... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Forgot to mention that one... it was certainly on my mind, too... I went from not feeling there weren't many electric 12s available to almost overwhelmed with choices, which is excellent!!!

honestly, the Charvel won my heart because 1) they're fairly rare (though that might change because of the Eastwood version's availability) 2) I always loved the Ric/Fender/Dano mashup looks 3) The compact slotted headstock... makes it much easier to find cases that will fit, and honestly I've developed a bit of paranoia about the Dano headstock getting snapped off for some reason... I love the Ric headstock, this is similar.

Thats one cool looking guitar. I am by no means a traditionalist, but I could never own that, just would make me feel like I am not cool enuff for it.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

I lost my train of thought while waiting for a GC employee to retrieve my web order of a Danelectro Baritone Guitar yesterday, but seeing this thread reminded me that I meant to go up to the wall to investigate a stuningly gorgeous custom Telecaster Thinline model (possibly signature edition?) that had what looked to be a metal or metallized pick guard (and not the usual shape either), a body colour similar to the Charvel above, and Gretsch-like mini-humbuckers.

Anyone else spotted that one? I'm working too hard to do much deep diving these days. I love Tele Thinlines and consider them a separate beast from regular Teles, but I'd want mine as a Baritone if I ever got one. The one I saw yesterday was unquestionably the most gorgeous Fender guitar I've ever seen. And though my eyesight isn't the best, I think the tag said $1199, but I was quite a distance away.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I've not bought a new gtr for several yrs but in the Nov GP (just out) there are a few gtr reviews that are kinda interesting.

Teye Gtrs (pricey) get an enthusiastic endorsement from the dependably level-headed Matt Blackett for these models, inspired by some Hendrix ideas

http://www.teye.com/gypsy-queen-v2/

Soultool gtrs (even pricier)

https://soultool.com/guitars/laguz

are reviewed & their "zoned", graduated fretting size concept is explained.

Somewhat related is an idea from Graph Tech that involves what to me may be something more important than a basic gtr design or pup idea.

The problems of string tuning analyzed by the core size of strings (not the overall string size) & how their multi-ratio tuners, adaptable to any gtr, can solve a problem that many of us---or me at least--never even knew existed.

http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-categories/machine-heads?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrZLdBRCmARIsAFBZllH7NUjceLrlSfqn8OE-kMoaHXkFUN6QM49bdu1OMNLA1fg31HmX5roaAuO0EALw_wcB

d=halfnote

I found a product page at Fender's website rather quickly, for the new deluxe Tele thin-line that I saw on the wall and forgot to check out after my long wait for a web order retrieval:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/telecaster/2018-limited-edition-tele-thinline-super-deluxe/0176042722.html#start=1

Even that picture can't do it justice.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Oh, I doubt I will, as I recently bought a Gretsch center block semi-hollow with TV Jones mini-humbuckers. But it sure is gorgeous, and I may try it out next time I'm there as it has a very different neck from the usual Fender.

"Hollowed" out Tele?

Kinda like it. AND the idea they still call it a "Tele". ;)

When GIBSON "hollowed" out a Les Paul, they called it the ES-140.

But then, that might have been due to Les' objections... :idk

But then too....the 140 came out a couple of years before the LP.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

In the detailed specs, I notice it has a Strat bridge, but I'm too lazy to check other Tele specs to see if most of them do these days.

The head stock says "Thinline", so they have always considered that a separate model of sorts, and with humbuckers it's not going to sound much like a regular Tele (and yet, in some ways it still will, as the audio demonstrates).

Fortunately the $1999 price tag is helping to prevent G.A.S.

+ 1 It's a separate model and not really considered a hollowed out Telecaster, thus the name Tele Thinline. It was invented in 1968 and released in 1969 so it's nothing new. It has two humbuckers as opposed to a standard Tele set up. It does have a 3 way selector and a master volume and tone just like a Tele. It also has the Tele look and design on the body front and it has a Tele neck. Should make a great little jazzer for those that want more of that humbucker mellow sound as opposed to the Tele Twang. But, you get the feel of the neck and the same look out front...great little guitars that a lot of people love or it would not have lasted over this long period of time... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Thanks for the info Larry. I've always loved Tele Thinline models, and had hoped they'd do one in a baritone at some point. I'm just not sure how much they differ from a 335-style guitar overall, but of course the scale length is longer. I hadn't really noticed at first that the switching is a bit Strat-like.

As I said on the other thread, my experience with baritone guitars is nil. But for a regular 6 string, I would choose the 335 over the Thinline. I played on my Dad's 330 for a few years with P90's and have fond memories of playing it in my younger days...my brother still has it and maybe I'll get to play it again some day. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

P90's on a semi-hollow are luscious. I have one of those too -- an Epiphone reissue of the ES-295 (in gold; red wasn't available).

Can't get enough arch-tops, as they vary so much compared to other guitar designs, but I did cut back the size of my solid body collection over the past few years.

+ 1 It's a separate model and not really considered a hollowed out Telecaster, thus the name Tele Thinline. It was invented in 1968 and released in 1969 so it's nothing new. It has two humbuckers as opposed to a standard Tele set up. It does have a 3 way selector and a master volume and tone just like a Tele. It also has the Tele look and design on the body front and it has a Tele neck. Should make a great little jazzer for those that want more of that humbucker mellow sound as opposed to the Tele Twang. But, you get the feel of the neck and the same look out front...great little guitars that a lot of people love or it would not have lasted over this long period of time... :cool:

All I know is that whenever I looked at a guitar designated a "thinline", it looked pretty much like a "semi-hollow", only just a bit on the thinner side( no pun intent). Or, as in the case of the MOSRITE COMBO, a "hollow-body" guitar that's NO THINNER or thicker than their typical "Ventures" model. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

@ Mark, I have an Epiphone ES-175 that came set up with 57 US made Gibson humbuckers and upgraded pots. It's one of my favorite body designs and I love the tone. Epi makes a 295 with upgraded US P90's that would be fun to try. The 175 keeps up with the Gibson model which costs 4 times as much. The 295 would get that Scotty Moore sound! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

@ Fang, I have played one of the older Mosrite solid body guitars and they are great playing and sounding axes. Very well made. I have never played or seen the hollow body Mosrite model but I suspect they are of good quality. I would think the hollow bodies on the Mosrite and Thinline would lighten things up a bit and I think of these kinds of guitars as Semi-hollow body, as they very thin as you pointed out on the Mosrite. Not as near thick as a 175 or 295 archtop model. My Taylor T5 is a very thin semi-hollow model and I love it. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I had a tryout with Mosrite-they are just not for me. The only thinline I really took a liking to so far has been Hofner. But after many stories about the neck joint cracking, I got scared off.

https://www.hofner.com/verythin-ct-transparent-red.html

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I have the bass in the Verythin series, but it's not back from its setup work, many months later. I love the feel and the sound, and had heard great things about the guitar as well, but don't need it as I have an excellent Eastman T486 Ray Benson model.

The Epi ES-295 is awesome, as the US-upgraded P-90 pickups are the best I've ever heard. Might even sell my Yamaha RevStar with P-90's, once the ES-295 is back from the shop (also a year-long wait at this point). There hasn't been a fair shootout yet, as setup work makes a big difference on budget (under $1K) instruments. The RevStar is more like a Les Paul though.

Thanks for the report on the 295 Mark! I suspected that the US made P90's upgrade would get similar results like I experienced on the 175 with US made humbuckers. I think Epi is on the right track putting out guitars that sound great and keep up with their more expensive Gibson counterparts at 1/4th the price. Great for starter guitar players and great for the experienced players as well. Best deal on the market, and the pups make all the difference IMHO. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Def. Let's hope these new models stay in the catalogue (though I now have all the ones I need personally), longer than that excellent MIJ series did a few years back (which included the Emperor; a model a co-worker lucked out and found on blow-out).

I did have a jack problem with the Epiphone ES-175 as the Koreans did not include a star lock washer inside the body and the jack kept coming loose. I had a new steel plate jack installed and finally solved the problem. Other than that, no complaints... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I did have a jack problem with the Epiphone ES-175 as the Koreans did not include a star lock washer inside the body and the jack kept coming loose. I had a new steel plate jack installed and finally solved the problem. Other than that, no complaints... :cool:

My Cole Clark has the same problem-maybe I should take it to the Music Instrument Fair next month, if they are going to be there.

As far as setup work, I have complained more than once about the situation in Japan. The guys in the music shops are there to sell stuff, period. Even the so-called `setup` counters, don`t do a basic overall check. Maybe if it`s a new purchase from the store-maybe. It`s freakin frustrating. You really have to go to a separate shop altogether.

There`s a place that was recommended to me at the last show in 2016, maybe I`ll try there.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived