Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rumor sites rife with "pro" Mac mini revision

ElmerJFudd

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cook also promised a user upgradeable Mac Pro a while back to replace the trash can models. I'm inclined to believe it's coming but not sure when.
Last we heard (I think unofficially) was some time in 2019. A "pro" mini would be a nice move in the meantime to go along with the iMac Pro and the new MacBook Pro models.

P.S. I have no doubt it's coming, a bunch of Apple execs said it's coming publicly. When they announced the iMac Pro they mentioned it IIRC. Something along the lines of "the new Mac Pro isn't ready yet, but we hope you like this iMac Pro in the meantime."

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Cook also promised a user upgradeable Mac Pro a while back to replace the trash can models. I'm inclined to believe it's coming but not sure when.

It's time, coming up on 5 years old now. That's like three pairs of sneakers for me.

I liked this (unlikely) concept. . .

Mac Pro 2

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

The 2011 MacBook Pro Im using for Logic is at the end of the line as far as OS upgrades go. Ive been thinking I might replace it with an iMac next, but this might make more sense, depending on how its specd. Ive already got a decent external monitor and drive enclosure from using the laptop, so this maybe a cheaper way to get current again.
"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

My personal wild guess is that the rumor actually originated from something that is relatively small and part of the new Mac Pro family, not a real, separated, Mac Mini Pro product line.

Being a wild guess, is probably wrong.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

If/when a new pro spec'd Mini arrives, I may switch over to that for my stage rig.

I like the idea of being able to rack it (whether on a shelf or if the new one fits in the current rack adapters available).

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

That's not accurate. During the 2017 round-table Apple said they were working on a "modular" Mac Pro that would be easier to update.

Many folks take that to mean it would be user-upgradeable, but the way it was worded could also mean they are working on a design that is easier to upgrade for them. The MP6,1's design made it impossible for them to put newer components in (as Federighi said "we designed ourselves into a thermal corner").

They stated they are designing the next one "modular" to avoid such issues. People ran with it, but I'm not convinced it will be all that upgradeable for the end-user.

Would love to be wrong, though.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

How would you monitor? An iPad could do it.

monitoring is the easy part. I've done it before with my iPad, and I also have a nice 10" LCD with HDMI that works.

My concerts are setup in a way that I don't have to interact with the computer once I am powered up. Just an occasional glance to make sure the proper patch was called when I hit "next" on my controller.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Yeah, my laptop is barely in reach and mostly an overkill setlist. In a couple of concert setups, my Next and Previous are doubly assigned to the first two notes of my 88 - switching by feel.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

That's not accurate. During the 2017 round-table Apple said they were working on a "modular" Mac Pro that would be easier to update.

You may be right, but may be "modular" and "easier to update" can be two independent things.

Actually, i have been thinking to this "modular" thing since the interview came out, and i can imagine ways a Mac could be modular without being user upgradable (at the internal component/card level).

Especially now with Thunderbolt 3, that allows 'external' connection to be as fast as internal one. Wouldn't an architecture based on a eGPU be considered "Modular" ? How much can you push the concept ?

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

I council skepticism until we see what kind of damned jacks they decide to throw into a new item. A rasta wig made from USB-C cables would be a likely starting place. Internal memory and the means to expand it are crucial. Its also a self-defense standard that I won't upgrade anything until its all settled in for a year. I'm happy with an iMac, which I haven't found at all underpowered, since I don't do 96-track Pink Floyd epics.

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

I hope the new Mac Mini will come with USB and HDMI ports as well as "Thunderbolt 3". If Apple continues their bizarre practice of only providing four USB-C ports for interfacing I will stick with the 2012 models.

Can you imagine having to shell out for a multi-port dongle just to use a Mac Mini?

I hope the new Mac Mini will come with USB and HDMI ports as well as "Thunderbolt 3". If Apple continues their bizarre practice of only providing four USB-C ports for interfacing I will stick with the 2012 models.

Can you imagine having to shell out for a multi-port dongle just to use a Mac Mini?

As long as you stick with current version of MacOS and MainStage and with your AUs that work well on it, the 2012 is good to go. But if the 2012 dies on you, or you decide to upgrade to next version of MacOS and MainStage with newer AUs that push the hardware then that's how the upgrade game goes.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

would expect the least amount of options on the mini.

.... Jeff /// Yamaha P515 /// Roll Tide

Many folks take that to mean it would be user-upgradeable, but the way it was worded could also mean they are working on a design that is easier to upgrade for them. The MP6,1's design made it impossible for them to put newer components in (as Federighi said "we designed ourselves into a thermal corner").

They stated they are designing the next one "modular" to avoid such issues. People ran with it, but I'm not convinced it will be all that upgradeable for the end-user.

Would love to be wrong, though.

This makes much more sense. Apple eliminated user upgrade-ability so you would have to invest all of that future upgrade money in Apple right up front and at Apple premium prices. Apple is not afraid they will drive away their customer base by presenting pricey products as the new Pro line illustrates. They came up with a way to boost revenue. It would not make sense for them to give up all of the money they gained control of by eliminating the option of upgrading RAM and graphics cards purchased from 3rd party vendors.

This article discusses this subject. One point I found interesting is that since a lot of people use Mac minis as a media server, hopefully Apple will keep an HDMI port on it.

I'm hopeful ports will be more than just USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 as well. I think it's possible since the iMacs still include USB 3, Ethernet, SDXC, and 3.5 mm headphone. Obviously the mini is smaller but the current model has a ton of ports so why wouldn't a new one?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I think that the Mac mini which is going to be installed in a fixed location is the least relevant model for which to object to ports being Thunderbolt-only.

An adapter is $10, and a whole USB-C to HDMI cable is $15 if you want the most elegant solution.

It's really not an issue.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Archived