Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This vintage synth thing is way out of hand

Dave Bryce

I bought one Tetra and solved my polyphonic issue with my P08 when in layer mode....And I've also used it in studio with the same sound of the P08, in real stereo like the guy on the official DSI is doing.... Real stereo brings a lot to any sound...

I love to read stuff like this - smart! One thing that came to mind fixing the Jupiter 8 mentioned above is when buying a vintage synth you should be aware of revisions and smaller updates with both firmware and hardware. Many of these classic synths were on the market for several years. Most people are probably aware of the larger changes like adding midi or a major circuit board revision (ala minimoog); maybe not so much with the smaller fixes and part changes often documented in the service manual(s).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My latest guest:

NBMkBHPh.jpg

Super easy to work on and calibrate. Not all vintage boards are a nightmare, especially if you get one that has the important major updates like this one.

icMscsmh.jpg

nWE76IMh.jpg

Now I know what a J-wire is. Way easier to replace then the

gold plated Minimoog contact springs. Helps to use real

J-wires which are also gold plated and don't rust, unlike this guitar wire substitute found at the bottom of the chassis.

3qHbxclh.jpg

Now I get to play for a few days. Ah the perks of having classy neighbors :keynana:

vpVUgyrh.jpg

My latest guest:

Careful - flight time with an Oberheim can induce GAS. That happened to me after I played a friend's OBX. And if anything is way out of hand, those old Oberheims certainly are. I landed my handyman's special OBX at a good price seven years ago but that was the last time I saw one that low, these days the broken ones are commanding big bucks.

But before I do, I´ll have to find the right set of pedals for Minitaur,- possibly new version of Crumar Mojo pedals.

I just finished shoehorning a MIDI interface in my Moog Taurus II controller pedal set. It plays great with my Minitaur. I used the MIDI CPU from Highly Liquid and other than building the 6VDC power supply (wall warts are banned from my system) it was an easy wiring job. The MIDI CPU is pretty flexible - I had some input ports left over so I added a couple of footswitches to kill the release tail (like the original Taurus) and to send a MIDI program change for the Taurus preset sound in the Minitaur. Loving it!!!

But before I do, I´ll have to find the right set of pedals for Minitaur,- possibly new version of Crumar Mojo pedals.

I just finished shoehorning a MIDI interface in my Moog Taurus II controller pedal set. It plays great with my Minitaur. I used the MIDI CPU from Highly Liquid and other than building the 6VDC power supply (wall warts are banned from my system) it was an easy wiring job. The MIDI CPU is pretty flexible - I had some input ports left over so I added a couple of footswitches to kill the release tail (like the original Taurus) and to send a MIDI program change for the Taurus preset sound in the Minitaur. Loving it!!!

Nice!

That looks very familiar! I'm just getting re-started on my OBXa restoration project. Next up is cleaning the bus bar & reassembling the keyboard. Then I have to decide how far to go with re-capping the voice boards & replacing the trimpots with multiturns. Synthchaser.com makes it pretty easy for an electronics noob like me with their kits.

Based on photos and replies, the vintage synth thang is strong (for good reason!) :).

I'd take a couple vintage favs over 7 of the newest toys. Oh, to have an OB!!

ARP used that same bus bar tech in some items I have here. Reminds me I have to open em up and clean mine as well.

Real MC and all others here in the know:

I used to own a Korg Dv-800 (Maxi-Korg), that is until that horrid thing called the late 80's/90s came with new digital gear promises where I "traded up (really, down now). Some of the meanest sounds at yer fingertips.

I'm always seeking another I could afford (doubtful) but can any of you relay one of the better VST options for this model (duo-phonic) synth? One that's DV-800 centric that is.

This is my KB setup in my music room back in 2005. Moog Source and Prophet 5 on left side of my set up.

MuB4Feim.jpg

For live gigs, this was more practical.

b3xpF7xm.jpg

For gigs where I didn't need the Ion, I downsized.

DZSRWXcm.jpg

I played a benefit$$$ for our county library, they always need money!

cSTt4jsm.jpg

I haven't tried posting photos in a long time. Trial and error, mostly error. The good news is I lost 30lbs, since that mug shot was taken.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I mentioned 4 synths early in this thread. A few days later I found a photo of me playing three of them. Chroma, MemoryMoog, Moog Source. Considering inflation this is definitely the most expensive stack of synths I've ever played.

i-pCXxKWt-L.jpg

I have a shot like that somewhere. USS A frame, Chroma on the bottom, then PPG Wave 2.2, then JP8, then MiniMoog on top.

Don't even wanna think about the current market value. :pop:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived