Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Simple, low latency interface?

JohnDoe

So, once again I´m gonna try using a software organ (Blue3) live, last time was with NI B4.

I´m just gonna use the software as standalone (no other plug-ins) on my PC, running Windows 10.

What simple low latency, low noise interface with MIDI I/O can you recommend?

It will only be used for this purpose, price is no matter.

Thank´s in advance!

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which version of Windows and whats the specs of your PC?

Theres more to getting low latency than just an audio interface. Although having ASIO drivers helps.

Before buying have you tried ASIO4ALL drivers on your built in audio chipset on this laptop? Worth a shot because its free.

http://www.asio4all.org

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

RME Babyface Pro

Assuming you have USB 3.0, I'd also look at:

Zoom UAC-2

RME has traditionally had the best performing drivers available; other brands such as Audient, Antelope, and UAD offer very competitive solutions as well.

Also, be aware that your experiences with NI B4 are light years away from current hardware/software performance. You'd probably be fine with almost anything on the market today, compared with that. ;)

Sorry, only USB 2.0.

My experience with NIB4 lies some 15 years back, but I remeber it as a struggle to get it running OK!

Assuming you have USB 3.0...

BabyFace Pro is an option for USB 2 connection. Certainly a good one.

On the lower end, Focusrite Clarett USB worth a look, too.

Sorry, that was for the Zoom specifically... I added the RME as an afterthought and didn't edit clearly. :)

I used an ultra-small Behringer a few times at at practice. It only had rca outputs, but with asio I got low latency. The darn thing was 30 bucks!

At home I use a Behringer uphoria. Silly price for what you get, solid build quality and mine has midi ports if you need it. If you don't, the price gets even cheaper. I know you mentioned price not being an issue, for me live is a place to use decent+cheap+reliable if such a beast can be found :) And have two, or at least something to fall back on.

I will look into all suggestions and when I made my mind up, I´ll give some sort of review.

Thank you all for your time and interest!

I'll second Steinberg, it's what I use. They're the ones who created the ASIO standard in the first place, makes sense they would give you a good driver.

As for your laptop itself check out this chart of CPU's. Yours is way down near the bottom. It could still be ok for your use or not. When it comes to using softsynths live, faster, more RAM and yes, more expensive is better.

CPU Benchmarks

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Archived