Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: hdmi audio extractor - works? With firestick?

ElmerJFudd

Have a newer 1080p TV, great picture but crap for ports (just two hdmi ins and no analog audio out). And crap speakers.

Have a firestick - has no unique audio out.

Want to run audio to my sound bar.

Ever try one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?k=hdmi+audio+extractor&sprefix=hdmi+audi&crid=1IZH942OA72K1

Will it work for me plugging the firestick into extractor and then hdmi cable to tv and rca to sound bar? Recommendations on model?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the TV have a digital audio out, using a fiber optic cable called TOSlink?

Some soundbars are made with TOSlink input connections. Also, a TOSlink to analog output adapters are available reasonably.

Never tried the HDMI converter, but I have used TOSlink connections and they work well. The DAC units also work well, some have both coaxial digital (SPIDIFO and optical digital (TOSlink) connectors on the digital side.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I was looking into one of these boxes myself but it creates a problem for me no volume control. I'm cable-box-free, just using an Apple TV direct to the HDMI input of my TV. One of these boxes would be perfect since I now take the analog out from the TV and run it to two powered monitor speakers and the sound quality is pretty bad; however the TV remote works for controlling volume. I'm not sure how I could accomplish this otherwise, unless I just buy an A/V receiver.

Does the TV have a digital audio out, using a fiber optic cable called TOSlink?

Some soundbars are made with TOSlink input connections. Also, a TOSlink to analog output adapters are available reasonably.

Never tried the HDMI converter, but I have used TOSlink connections and they work well. The DAC units also work well, some have both coaxial digital (SPIDIFO and optical digital (TOSlink) connectors on the digital side.

No sadly. No optical. Great picture, great price. Poo for io.

Havent tried one. Assuming you already have the firestick? Otherwise you could get a Roku with audio out for not much more than that audio extracter.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Just got the Roku Ultra, $90 streaming box. One of its big selling points is you can control the tv volume from the Roku remote. And, theres a headphone out on the remote, makes it super convenient to control your volume and have good quality audio playback without bothering others. Wish we had this while growing up with my hard of hearing dad!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I use a $25 HDMI->audio-only thing I got off Amazon a few years ago to connect my chromecast to my old stereo. Works OK.

I seem to remember before I got this one trying a cheaper HDMI->audio+VGA box and getting very poor audio. I don't remember the details--some hum or other odd noise?--in any case I'm not much of an audiophile and I'm sure it couldn't have been anything subtle. I suspect it was mainly aimed at people who just needed the VGA out for presentations and didn't care about audio.

So, I dunno, they're not too expensive, I'd probably just read the user reviews carefully and then try one....

I use a $25 HDMI->audio-only thing I got off Amazon a few years ago to connect my chromecast to my old stereo. Works OK.

I seem to remember before I got this one trying a cheaper HDMI->audio+VGA box and getting very poor audio. I don't remember the details--some hum or other odd noise?--in any case I'm not much of an audiophile and I'm sure it couldn't have been anything subtle. I suspect it was mainly aimed at people who just needed the VGA out for presentations and didn't care about audio.

So, I dunno, they're not too expensive, I'd probably just read the user reviews carefully and then try one....

Right, yeah, there's a bunch. I'll fish through the reviews for good experiences.

Archived