Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So I lost my Logic USB key

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Phait:

emagic said I need to contact emagic USA to buy a replacement. How much they cost, any idea? I know someone here had the same problem and I heard it was a hassle?

Bummer. :( Most companies who use a dongle as copy protection consider it to BE the program - "lose the dongle, lose the program". If the dongle simply breaks, you can frequently get a new one for a fee... this happened to Dan South a while back, and from what he said it WAS a hassle. However, getting them to replace a lost or stolen dongle may be a different matter. They could, worst case, make you buy the program all over again.

Your best bet is to contact Emagic USA and discuss it with them. Be prepared to provide whatever you can in the way of "proof" of ownership - a reciept you could fax to them, manual's cover, etc. It may help if you registered with them and they have you on their lists.

This could get ugly. I hope for your sake that I'm wrong, but I fear the worst. Please let me know what happens.

I thought when you bought software you bought a licence? As long as you can prove you hold a valid licence they should have to sort you out a new dongle for a minimal fee?

Of course, I'm living in a fantasy world here, they'll probably mess you around for a while and then make you buy the software again.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I thought when you bought software you bought a licence? As long as you can prove you hold a valid licence they should have to sort you out a new dongle for a minimal fee?

The dongle is what proves that you have a license: essentially, the dongle is the license. Anybody could claim they lost the dongle, then turn around and bootleg the software. Therefore, if you're asking for a replacement dongle, you'd better have a broken dongle or a police report to show them. Sorry to hear that. :(

Legally, I don't think the licence IS the dongle. A licence isn't the CD, the manual, the dongle or anything else. The licence is the agreement between the customer and the software company isn't it?

I'd like to find out 100% one way or the other what the legal postition is on this.

Did you tell eMagic you bought the software by registering it or anything?

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

You should be able to prove that you own the licence even though you don't have the dongle.

Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Phait:

I found it. In a pile of my clothes n' stuff. Bahahaha. Tyin' dis sumbitch down!

I am imagening a visual of your workplace now :) A dongle between clothes

A Bluesharp between your socks,..

Wonder,..... where did you put that sm58 again?

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Hehhe. I wish I had an SM58.
They are but mere toys. This is the beast I recorded a grand piano (yesterday) for a film score I'm doing at the moment. It's * drool * .... not mine :cry: but maybe one day :) 'til then it's a pair of C1000S'.
My latest piece: for orchestra (recorded at Blackheath Halls, London, March 2006, 2mins long)

Archived