Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You tube

Ross Brown

When i log onto you tube to get ideas about how to approach/play bass lines... i often think ... these guys are overplaying... i bet they used to be guitar players.

... then i get paranoid that i simply suck and don`t play enough...

Thoughts?

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You simply suck and you don't play enough.

Now that I got that out of my system...

I know how you feel. I gave up a long time ago trying to be 'that player' who is all over the fretboard, plays a 20-string bass, runs all melody lines like all the time, etc. If I wanted to play like that, I'd play the blues harp.

I'm a simple player. I learned mostly from Motown, Big Band (especially the Count Basie Orchestra) and various players in bands I enjoyed (Kasim Sulton from Utopia, Allan Gorrie from AWB, Graham Maby from the Joe Jackson band). To me, there's no sweeter sound than a simple bass-line that so totally complements a song as to be a completely integral part of its very existence. Listen below.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGFvOs7kqCM

So no, I don't think there's anything wrong with being a simple player. Play what the song requires and no more. Leave the show-boating to the other cats.

Play. Just play.

Weedly-weedly-wee, make a face, hold your bass like it's your weenie, point it heavenward, and look like you're really doing something. Then, you get a big ovation while the smoke bombs go off, and the motorized lights in your truss twirl around.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Weedly-weedly-wee, make a face, hold your bass like it's your weenie, point it heavenward, and look like you're really doing something. Then, you get a big ovation while the smoke bombs go off, and the motorized lights in your truss twirl around.

How'd you know I wore a truss???

Play. Just play.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

There is a time and a place for everything.

Regardless of instrument, the best musicians know when to hold back and support the other musicians, and when to have their moment to shine. YouTube by virtue of what it is, is going to lean towards people who want to show off. Don't let it bother you.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

You simply suck and you don't play enough.

Now that I got that out of my system...

I know how you feel. I gave up a long time ago trying to be 'that player' who is all over the fretboard, plays a 20-string bass, runs all melody lines like all the time, etc. If I wanted to play like that, I'd play the blues harp.

I'm a simple player. I learned mostly from Motown, Big Band (especially the Count Basie Orchestra) and various players in bands I enjoyed (Kasim Sulton from Utopia, Allan Gorrie from AWB, Graham Maby from the Joe Jackson band). To me, there's no sweeter sound than a simple bass-line that so totally complements a song as to be a completely integral part of its very existence. Listen below.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGFvOs7kqCM

So no, I don't think there's anything wrong with being a simple player. Play what the song requires and no more. Leave the show-boating to the other cats.

:cool:

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

You post here.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

You post here.

Point.

Play. Just play.

Archived