Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sony Vegas 5 at NAB

I saw Sony Vegas 5 at NAB. It's shipping (and downloadable). I was thoroughly impressed. I had passed on the upgrade to version 4. This one is pleasantly unavoidable.

here\'s a link to a comparison table of features:

Hardware surface support. They were showing it with the Mackie Control. User Definable Docking Window Layouts. Network rendering. yep, network rendering.

Solid audio features as well.

It's a great value for upgraders at $199. Apple had an unbelievably huge booth and presence (and, of course, nice looking products). And Vegas was in a dark corner of the Sony booth. I could not get over the bang for the buck that Vegas represents.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it's a great time to be into video. Hell Audio guys should start dabbling a bit as great video alsways needs great audio.

I think the big thing is affordable HiDef. Sony and JVC pushing their HDV cams are creating a stir. Vegas, Final Cut Pro and others will be supporting HiDef in a big way.

Sony has Blu Ray coming and that should decrease in price quickly and with the availability of recorders it's going to be nice to edit and playback your content in HiDef with kickass audio of course!

This is funny that you are posting this. I just downloaded the trial version on Monday. Never used Vegas Video before, although I've been using Sound Forge since 1994, I was pleasantly surprised that the key commands are pretty much the same.

Now I don't edit video, but I have to sync up sound to animated sequences. I was going to use my PT rig for this but decided to do it in Vegas 5 because of their video integration. I was very impressed with the audio side of things. Automated FX? Very easy to use and sound great. I had automated volumes, pans, FX and it never hiccuped once. I currently have 49 audio tracks playing and there is no sign of it slowing down. Now there isn't audio playing throughout all those tracks, but still pretty impressive for a video application.

With all the plug-ins I have that can be used with it, I think it is a very easy and powerful piece of software. Audio guys need to check it out. I will be buying this one to add to my arsenal. Wow, I sound like a sales guy!! EEEK

Chris Groegler

Sound Designer,

Red Storm Entertainment

What would be the Mac equivalent of Sony Vegas?
Final Cut Pro ... but trust me, you should stick with Vegas.

I've been using Vegas for the last year and a half, and it's absoultely the best. It just rocks. The audio support is fantastic ... I've put several tracks with audio chains, including Waves plugins, and it always played back in real time, along with the video. The track pan/volume envelopes are so easy to handle, as well as the fade handles.

The time stretch and the pitch shift is one of the great features that I use all the time.

I've also used Vegas to record audio ... including one time when I recorded 50 tracks.

Vegas 2.0 isn't even close to 4.0, let alone 5.0.

As to the Mac, Vegas is unique, and one of the main reasons I got so much into the PC. If Vegas ran on Linux, then by golly, I'd get a computer and install Linux just so I could run Vegas. It really is that good.

BTW Douglas Spotted Eagle's book on Vegas (which I reviewed in the May issue of EQ) is fantastic. I thought I knew the program pretty well, but I benefitted tremendously from Spot's knowledge. Because he's a musician, he explains video concepts in terms that are easy for musicians to understand. Great stuff for a great program.

Where does Newtek Video Toaster fall into comparison with Vegas 5? I am a video dummy so I do not know anything at all about this stuff. I will say this though, Video editing looks like high dollar stuff to me but I think the cats that master this world are making great money and are in demand-am I right?

Is there some kind of a video production and editing 101 out there somewhere on the web that you all recommend? From my perspective, this is the future, not recording the rock band down the street with your computer! It looks like the computer revolution is also happening in the video world as far as the home project video studio is concerned.

This way, no, wait, that way!

I've been a beta tester on Vegas 5. Its an absolutely fantastic program, some great improvments over Vegas 4. Well worth it!

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Hey Mike!

I'm really glad to see someone from Yamaha being on the beta team.

I understand Sony is preparing an SDK for the control surface side of things.

Is there any chance Yamaha will publish a control surface driver for the 01v96 for Vegas5?

If not, do you have suggestions, how-to, whatever for setting up the V96 with Vegas5?

Man, that's what I LOVE about this industry. Yamaha working with Sony. Cakewalk implementing Yamaha's OPT. Steinberg and Yamaha figuring out a way to interconnect gear in the studio. Roland creating hardware for Cakewalk's software. MOTU coming out with a sampler that works with EVERYTHING. M-Audio putting Reason and Live under the same roof in the US. Native Instruments collaborating with East-West. Celemony working with Ueberschall...

Damn that's all so cool.

Looks very impressive,with this type of surround support this could give Nuendo a run for it's money.However,I'm still perplexed as to why Sony won't include their own plugs in their own apps in propriety format or at least as an option. :rolleyes:
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I'm definitely upgrading to v5. However, I was a teeny bit disappointed why support for Adobe After Effects plugins hasn't seen the light of day yet.

Also, worth mentioning, DVD Architect finally gets an update and v2 finally has "end-actions" feature. Hooray!!!

Is there some kind of a video production and editing 101 out there somewhere on the web that you all recommend?
I would highly recommend Douglas Spotted Eagle's Class On Demand Sony Vegas 4.0 Editing Workshop DVD .

Originally posted by Anderton:

Man, that's what I LOVE about this industry. Yamaha working with Sony. Cakewalk implementing Yamaha's OPT. Steinberg and Yamaha figuring out a way to interconnect gear in the studio. Roland creating hardware for Cakewalk's software. MOTU coming out with a sampler that works with EVERYTHING. M-Audio putting Reason and Live under the same roof in the US. Native Instruments collaborating with East-West. Celemony working with Ueberschall...

Damn that's all so cool.

Craig, they are doing this because it is the only way they will survive. They know this and I am happy that they are opening up like this.
This way, no, wait, that way!

Archived