Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SampleTank and velocity

Heartbeat

I'm running SampleTank 2.0 which is Midied to my Nord C2 organ lower keyboard. I believe the Nord is sending the full keyboard velocity range of 0-127, but I'm suspecting ST has maybe only 3 samples per note, i.e. 0-40 sounds one soft sample, 41-80 produces a more medium sample, and 81-127 produces a full range sample. Problem is with playing piano on this, I'm just not enjoying the expressiveness that I'm getting out of the piano sounds versus say my Nord Stage 2.

Does this make sense? is there another piano software program that might respond to the C2 keyboard better?

TIA

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ST2 is pretty old sauce. A three-layer piano is going to cut, but will never really allow for subtle expression in my view.

There are maybe 50+ piano sample libraries out there, plus modeled options like Pianoteq. The beauty of Pianoteq is that you can calibrate a velocity responsive curve to how YOU play a specific keyboard. (Demo is free.)

We cant recommend others without knowing more about your computer resources and budget.

I make software noises.

I'm suspecting ST has maybe only 3 samples per note

As John said, that's more likely to be a limitation of the piano sample library than the Sampletank software.

I did a quick look and see that most products for Sampletank specify Sampletank 3, with no word of backwards compatibility with ST2. (I didn't look too hard, to be honest!).

I know there are good pianos for Kontakt, and some (most?) of them come with the free Kontakt player which should be able to run alongside Sampletank (if you still need ST for other stuff). That might be your easiest route to a good piano.

Archived