Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

UVI Attack 88, anyone?

Bobby Simons

I was wondering if anyone here has this software and is able to advise as to how it works for them in the real world. Because I think some of these demo patches sound amazing as a solo instrument and could also really sit nicely in the mix - but you never know until you try.

P.S. I love a good demo, and this player, Benoit Sourisse, does a most excellent job.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking at this package and bought it a couple of weeks ago during a half-price promotion from UVI. If you're into an endlessly tweakable Rhodes, this is it.

I found the basic premise - the tack - to be too 'dyno' for me. Even though it's possible to filter that out to a degree, it's still a chippy percussion that masks the true nature of the initial tone. I wish there were a way to cut it completely and then dial it to taste... but that would be a different animal and opposite of what UVI was going for. And there is an underlying pristine-ness that I can't get behind (same thing with Pianoteq) that makes the barks and anomalies just sound too dialed-in.

It has some amazing effects and some really good (and really strange) presets you can build on and save. You can edit the hell out of it, down to the note level if need be, if you have the processing power, patience and desire.

I'm more old school and not too interested in developing "a new take" on a Rhodes. I have UVI Tines Anthology, which has some wonderful anomalies, and I'm satisfied with results from their Mark I, II & V. I'm looking at Canterbury Suitcase as well.

So Attack EP88 is not for everyone. I'm still glad I bought it. It's probably the deepest package of its kind for the price. It's fun and creative, just not as real-world usable in my case. What can you lose for $150? I'd like to know what you, and others think!

Here for the gear.

Thanks. Yeah, I think I'll go for it. Currently I just have the Mainstage and Pianoteq EP's, it will be a nice contrasting addition.

I do love the sound of the Canterbury but have, up to now, avoided getting involved in the Kontakt universe. I suppose I really should get over that.

I do love the sound of the Canterbury but have, up to now, avoided getting involved in the Kontakt universe. I suppose I really should get over that.

Sorry for the OT but since you brought it up... after spending some time with Canterbury I'm a bit disappointed. There is an extreme/sudden cutoff of thwack/plink starting at the A 1.5 octaves above middle C. Maybe that's how the real deal works but I sure don't like it. Enough so that I've tried to enhance it by layering those upper notes with Lounge Lizard 4 - but it's still not quite right.

I thought it was just me.

And thanks Markyboard - not really OT, all things considered.

Here for the gear.

So, earlier this morning I was going to purchase this from Sweetwater, but got busy - so instead just put it on my 'wish list', mostly to not forget about it. Two hours later, I get a Price Drop email from them: $111, down from $149.

Sometimes it pays to procrastinate. I suggest someone tries the same - let me know what happens.

Installed it this morning, initial playing sounded promising. The amount of control and available options are impressive.

Also tried layering the miked tack-on-the-tines sound onto other pianos (mostly my new Steingraeber) and got some cool and very playable hybrids. I'm never against abusing a perfectly good piano.

So, I'm wondering why it seemingly takes close to a minute for some presets to load. Is this to be expected? Occasionally a new preset selection will load immediately, but more often than not there is considerable delay.

I am using a late 2015 MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.4 with a 250GB SSD, which is approximately half empty.

Would love to hear from other users.

I was noticing that, too, though perhaps not a full minute. Its what I meant by having the patience and horsepower to work with it. Late 2016 iMac i7, 16GB, 500 GB SSD still isnt enough? Thats the main reason I havent gotten into Keyscape.

Here for the gear.

I was noticing that, too, though perhaps not a full minute.

LOL, OK it probably only seems like forever. 30 seconds is probably more accurate. Still...

If youre looking for a more traditional Rhodes package, UVI Tines Anthology is on sale. I havent read a lot of reviews and its not as popular as lets say, Scarbee or Neo Soul, but I really like it. Its well editable inside UVI Workstation, with quirky imperfections, and lots of models to choose from including bass, it loads quickly and sounds real. The antithesis of Attack EP88.

Here for the gear.

Archived