Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking at CP4 and EV ZXA1 but...

grockvt

So I am one step closer as I have sold my Roland RD700sx...officially I have no piano board right now. Tthe Korg Grandstage 73 videos are really drawing me in. I am just concerned about the action - I need to find one to try. I am still solid on the key largo and EV ZXA1 idea, and have not yet put up for sale the Acmes and To a/Crown rig.

• 4 years later...
On 5/26/2018 at 8:03 AM, grockvt said:

Thanks for the input. I'm intrigued by the 73 note grandstage and also am having a really hard time classifying it as a stage piano, based on the fact that it's action comes from a workstation product. It might suit me well for Rhodes sounds which my current project would benefit from - but if I ever go back to a more organic or solo gig I will probably still need a real 88 note dp like the cp4.

If you haven't played a recent Nord DP action (NP5 or Nord Grand, not the Stage), you might want to do so if the opportunity presents itself.  Although not in the league with better Yammie and Kawaii keybeds, I would say they've gotten a lot better recently, or perhaps less objectionable?  Personally, I've never warmed to the Roland or Korg actions, they're meh for me.   Re 88 vs 76 -- I too thought I would miss the extra notes for solo/duo/trio work.  Nope.  Ok, I did have to rearrange the bass part on Lady Madonna, but that's about it.  The smaller form factor and lighter weight does make a noticeable difference as compared to the NP4 88 it replaced.

You mentioned EPs as being important?  I love the Yamahas EPs -- very playable and distinctive sound -- and can get only about 90% of that on my Nords (or anything else I've tried), so that may push you in that direction.

As far as amplification goes, I went IEM a while back, so I haven't been paying attention to keyboard amplification since then.  If you routinely have good FOH, it's a nice way to go. I will offer from previous experience that both the QSC K8.2s and RCF TT08-as punch way above their size and weight.  The EVs and Altos are also quite popular.  When I needed a bit more bass, I brought an inexpensive 12" Behringer sub.  

Thinking down the road, if you ever move from the NE5 to, say, the NSC3, you'll have the option of using whatever as a bottom board to drive panel B and its three engines.  I played that way for a while, and found it very convenient and enjoyable -- only two outputs, and one big LED screen to advance the setlist.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

On 5/26/2018 at 1:03 PM, grockvt said:

I'm intrigued by the 73 note grandstage and also am having a really hard time classifying it as a stage piano, based on the fact that it's action comes from a workstation product.

RH3 is Korg's premium hammer-action product - it's in the SV1/2, several home pianos as well as workstations like the Kronos. It's more accorate to say that a workstation's action came from a stage piano product.

Personally, I don't connect with the RH3, but many love it, and I certainly wouldn't rule it out because it's used in workstations.

Cheers, Mike.

No longer considering the CP4  - need help with dula tier stand

I now own and love a CP88 and the KeyLargo...still have the crown XTi1000 and the Acme B1s...looking at the KM 18880 stand...  any recommendations on a 2 tier keyboard stand?

top tier = nord electro waterfall organ

bottom tier = yamaha cp88

23 minutes ago, grockvt said:

No longer considering the CP4  - need help with dula tier stand

I now own and love a CP88 and the KeyLargo...still have the crown XTi1000 and the Acme B1s...looking at the KM 18880 stand...  any recommendations on a 2 tier keyboard stand?

top tier = nord electro waterfall organ

bottom tier = yamaha cp88

It depends on what you want to deal with for weight. Z-stands are always stable, but can be heavy and don't fold up that well. I would suggest a K&M 18950 table stand with the 2nd tier addon if you want a well-built but lightweight setup that folds nicely (so long as you remove the 2nd tier arms first).

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I keep coming back to my Spider Pro, gig after gig.   I have several others, but that's the one that I always grab when I'm heading out.  Despite the center column design, it's plenty stable unless you bang at the far ends.  It's pricey these days, but for me it was another "buy once, cry once".

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

22 hours ago, grockvt said:

looking at the KM 18880 stand

If you want a table-style stand, then that stand has a lot going for it. Reports on its longevity are mixed, and it's expensive stateside. But nothing in that format or quality is lighter. I regret not buying one years ago - I went with column stands (Apex, Proel) before buying a cheap accordion-style stand like the 18880 (but steel, not aluminium so cheaper and heavier). 

Cheers, Mike.