Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How the Association presaged Devo

d  halfnote

Every few yrs something happens to recall the Association to my memory.

They were an OK band, sometimes perhaps lumped in w/the likes of the 4 Freshmen, Lettermen, Bread, etc, but maybe a bit more sophisticated.

Today, having been reminded that their song "Along Comes Mary" is sometimes heralded as an early ode to cannabis consumption (or conversely, a caution against it---BTW, for those counting, that's 4, er, 5 alliterative uses of the "k" sound :D ), I found this....

[video:youtube]

d=halfnote

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Always loved The Association-personally I think their sound is unlike any group compared to them. To this day, they sound like a full choir backed by a full orchestra, I was never sure how many members they had. That plus indeed some sophisticated composing set them apart.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

'66 was a very good year...Along Comes Mary by the Association was a real classic...this one (Black is Black) by Los Bravos is another favorite of mine that came out the same year. There is something about the quality of the music from that time zone that still gets to me to this day! Classic dance and listening tunes:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f3oHYRPw24

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

Y'know, I gotta go with the "sophisticated composing" bit.

There used to (back then) be a feature in the Sunday supplement magazine that came with our newspaper in which they would print both the lyrics to a popular tune and it's chords. One Sunday, it featured The Association's "Cherish", and I'm tellin' ya...

There were a whole SLEW of chords I've NEVER before HEARD of, and couldn't find in ANY of the three or four MEL BAY books I had at the time! :crazy:

I personally found them pretty much BORING, but that's just personal taste and interest and not an indictment on their quality as musicians and singers.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived