Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pete T /still not old, not dead, up to date

d  halfnote

There's a phenomenal clip at the end of this post

but 1st some historical bg

[video:youtube]

Don't miss the follow-up

live on Letterman / magic moment = 3:30 / followed by chat

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8TweRcNWpA

!!! NOW FOR THE MAIN EVENT !!!

Let's see Davey Gilmour do this !

highlights

intro / PT shannels his inner JH / 0:00~1:05

2nd solo / 1:55~3:15 / note esp the section 2:53+

3rd solo-finale / 3:20~

starting @ 4:00 mark Pete illustrates his classic "D shapes up the neck as jazzy chord extensions" technique building to a classic feedback moment before he calms back down for an even hipper illustration of that technique

"All my old bits & pieces"

d=halfnote

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK...I see ya in there looking at the OP but declining to comment, even after that---dare I say, yes I do---stunning gtr exhibition.

What's this not-too-old interview do fer ya ?

Trust me, if y'lissen, it'll provoke some ideas beyond yer typical old rock star :blah::blah:

d=halfnote

Oh he's old all right. But he still brings it. I'd need to hear some more recent stuff, on good speakers, to determine if I don't really prefer his Gibson tone (think 'The Kids Are All Right' concert film era) to his Strat tone, just as I do with Clapton. But mainly, I just really believe that the real Who includes Keith Moon & John Entwhistle. Otherwise it's a bit of a tribute band. But great to see Pete still delivering the goods.
Scott Fraser

Over the years I've too much heard guys say that Pete's not that "great" of a guitar player.

But I suppose, when comparing him to Hendrix, Page, Clapton and the like, someone might feel that way. Pete WAS never known to be that much of a "soloist", in that he never did the "rapid-fire" pickin' like his "peers", but he did bring to the table something that made both him AND The Who very unique.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

People that denigrated PT's playing mostly did so b/c he rarely played extended solos although, as evidenced by the clip above, when he did/does his work is usually both exciting & interesting.

He was/is an astute musician w/a particularly inventive approach to chordal work, frequently playing partials along the neck that serve as extensions to the basic chord.

Not exactly Joe Pass but....

In the Who he also made plenty of room for his cohorts Entwistle & Moon, further undercutting his role as "star soloist".

A secondary turn in this thread was my stumbling across the interview posted above.

Pete's always had a sorta intellectual approach to his interviews, putting him somewhat in the area of Zappa, Lennon, Garcia & maybe a few others in the rock realm.

Honestly, I sometimes found that a bit pretentious, esp when he'd be deliberately contrarian.

Those who take the time to listen to the one above (put it on while ya do the dishes or something :D ) will, I suspect, find it worthwhile.

d=halfnote

FWIW & BTW, here's a rarity that's not a particularly great musically but perahps conveys a bit of why Scott insists it's the basic original 4 or nothin' for him.

1st PT & KM gab then the music starts 5:20.

Bonus :D

d=halfnote

I remember hearing Townshend on some clip shown on some TV show back late '90's claim the Who's success came from them, "Not playing good music". :idk I think I recall him explaining that he meant the band didn't follow the same patterns MOST of the "British Invasion" bands did. But, whatever------

It certainly WORKED! And worked WELL. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I think the relevant quote being searched after above had to do w/"the avoidance of quality".

That said....

How abt some duets ?

Find yer own markers.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpEwAk6U42w

d=halfnote

Archived