Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha buys Ampeg from Loud Technologies

Mark Schmieder

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I agree. It took a few years, but Yamaha turned Steinberg around, in terms of QC and customer relations, to the point that I now own two Steinberg products (Cubase and Wavelab) and am considering a third (Dorico notation app).

They've also been good stewards of the Bosendorfer brand. Not sure about Line6 as I don't like that line (for bass at least).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hmm, I'll check that out then. Yamaha is indeed one of the "good guys" amongst large companies, and donates a lot to education. I had such a bad experience with Line 6 stuff years ago, that it hadn't occurred to me that Yamaha might have upped the quality since they bought them out.

• 3 months later...

I've been spending a lot of time lately looking into upright bass amplification strategies again, with fairly dismal results, which led me to once again consider electric uprights. At that point, my brother helped with some info he received from former co-workers at New England Conservatory.

The one that holds my interest is the Italian company Alter-Ego, who may or may not still be in business (their website is mostly broken) and who may or may not still make the well-liked models that I have found in discussions and videos. Pricing is all over the map so it's hard to know what to expect.

For practical reasons, I then started looking at the Ampeg Baby Bass again, as Elderly has one at the moment. And that's what I've been leading up to, because I am now convinced Yamaha will reissue it (in some form).

Much to my surprise, the Ampeg Baby Bass is THE preferred bass amongst a significant portion of the Latin market, which is a market that Yamaha (and others) takes very seriously and one that is growing quickly.

Yamaha has its "Silent Bass", which is quite expensive and to me NOT good value due to its price and its unrealistic sound (comparatively speaking). I doubt it's selling well in Latin America, where incomes tend to be lower than in the USA. So rather than fear they are cannibalizing their own market, it seems to make sense for them to do a straight reissue of the Ampeg Baby Bass, or at least something like it that is branded as Yamaha.

Archived