Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

more bad, bad, superbad non-gtr news

d  halfnote

John "Jabo" Starks has joined the Chas Neville band....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/01/obituaries/jabo-starks-drummer-for-james-brown-dies-at-79.html

Why's that matter ?

Starks tells his own story of playing w/Bobby Bland, James Brown & BB King :cool:

[video:youtube]

In the mid-1960s the James Brown band reinvented pop music.

They did that on the backs of the drummers.

Tracks such as "Cold Sweat" reset pop music in the same way that jazzers had during the 1940s~50s.

Tracks had a new rhythmic emphasis involving polyrhythms & a focus on elements outside the melody & chords.

Many may not have really liked that then or like it now but the influence went far beyond what became funk, disco, etc.

Here dig how the band turns the lines around everytime the refrain comes up. :cool:

Here's The Beatles's response to 1 chord grooving.

Can you get it ?

Think y'can't get no mo' rockified than the Zep ?

Dig this.

Here JB shows he's not just got a good foot but a couple good kboard hands as well [2:30~3"05].

"Outta my way, Hiram !"

d=halfnote

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tobias Forge, lead singer/mastermind for Ghost recently said:

It feels like our parents are passing.

He was lamenting the passing of Bowie, Prince, and Lemmy, but it applies here, too. So many giants of 20th century music have been lost recently...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

A great loss to music.

Previously undisclosed fact-my main band in Taipei included for while, a family relative of Clyde Stubblefield on drums. He left to return the to the U.S., and was replaced by a young kid, of mixed African-American and Chinese parentage who didn`t speak English, and was a national karate champion, partly due to his size for his age. Unfortunately that also meant he drummed in two styles-really loud and not at all.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Yeah, those "Famous Flames" were a really tight group, and Mr. Starks was obviously the binding that KEPT them tight! Both him AND "Stubbs".

And another one of the greats has left us. :(

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Tobias Forge, lead singer/mastermind for Ghost recently said: It feels like our parents are passing.

There have always been & always will be, til Kurzweil's synthetic neocortexes arrive, such losses.

While it's a time-marker to celebrate those from whom we've benefited, it's never really the end of things...unless one views it as the time to step up & be what we need to be, which is the future of the musics we love.

d=halfnote

Archived