Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Piano 4

bjosko

I've been toying with the new NP4 myself for the past week or two and have been REALLY enjoying it!

The keybed supposedly hasn't changed from NP3, but like you, I've also noticed a much more responsive keybed in the NP4. I can also agree for the most part of placing it just under the CP4 and MP11... not quite sure about the ES8 though...

I get a lot of review units here, but this is one review unit that I will surely miss when I have to return it. I need to stop enjoying this for a while so I can get down to doing the review of it, which I hope to post in the next week or so.

All I can say is Kudos to Nord for their best NPx to date, and a game changer as far as I'm concerned.... they even got more up to date with polyphony in this release.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been toying with the new NP4 myself for the past week or two and have been REALLY enjoying it!

The keybed supposedly hasn't changed from NP3, but like you, I've also noticed a much more responsive keybed in the NP4. I can also agree for the most part of placing it just under the CP4 and MP11... not quite sure about the ES8 though...

I get a lot of review units here, but this is one review unit that I will surely miss when I have to return it. I need to stop enjoying this for a while so I can get down to doing the review of it, which I hope to post in the next week or so.

All I can say is Kudos to Nord for their best NPx to date, and a game changer as far as I'm concerned.... they even got more up to date with polyphony in this release.

Thanks for your perspective, Chuck! Cant wait to see your review!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Good to know. Thanks!

Any thoughts on stands (the Nord stands, for example) that you might use with it?

Or cases?

In terms of action, I've heard that the Nord Piano uses the same physical action as the Nord Stage (weighted).

However, when I try earlier generations of the NP I like the action, but when I play a Nord Stage, not so much.

Although it doesn't feel this way, if that's true, maybe it's the way the NP is electronically responding to the physical keybed rather than just the keyed itself that has me like the NP action better than the Stage.... :idk

Could be part of it.

There's something else I learned (can't remember exactly what it's called, sorry) that the Nord Piano keyboard has, that it replicates from an acoustic piano in the way it responds to something, that the Stage doesn't have. But that also could contribute?

In any case, the Stages I've played just don't feel good to me. Whereas the NP3 felt really great when I tried one out.

Any thoughts on stands (the Nord stands, for example) that you might use with it?

Or cases?

If you can hang with the look, the K&M 18880 fit my NP88 and NP2 like a glove. I believe it's the lightest non-X stand on the market.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/290520-REG/K_M_18880_000_55_18880_Table_Style_Keyboard.html

Personally I like the looks of the K&M Omega better but I hear it's not as quick and easy to break down and set up. They also make a Red Omega, I'm sure specifically designed for Nords, if you're into that type of thing. ;)

I used the Nord Stage 88 case for both Nord Pianos. I thought it was overpriced but felt for the first couple of years it held up pretty decent. But halfway into my ownership of the NP2 it really began deteriorating. Basically I got a solid three years of frequent gigs out of it before the shape of the case started collapsing. One positive is that it has a pocket that holds the large Nord music rack.

There's a place in Burbank that says they have the NP4 in stock. I'll have to swing by and see how it compares to the NP3 ,action wise.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I expect a report, Mister Ferris (lolololol).

Seriously, Dave, I would love to hear your reactions!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Or cases?

If you can hang with the look, the K&M 18880 fit my NP88 and NP2 like a glove. I believe it's the lightest non-X stand on the market.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/290520-REG/K_M_18880_000_55_18880_Table_Style_Keyboard.html

Personally I like the looks of the K&M Omega better but I hear it's not as quick and easy to break down and set up. They also make a Red Omega, I'm sure specifically designed for Nords, if you're into that type of thing. ;)

I used the Nord Stage 88 case for both Nord Pianos. I thought it was overpriced but felt for the first couple of years it held up pretty decent. But halfway into my ownership of the NP2 it really began deteriorating. Basically I got a solid three years of frequent gigs out of it before the shape of the case started collapsing. One positive is that it has a pocket that holds the large Nord music rack.

There's a place in Burbank that says they have the NP4 in stock. I'll have to swing by and see how it compares to the NP3 ,action wise.

Thanks.

The Omega does look nice. :like:

Are you familiar with the Nord stand? I've never heard anyone mention it... Does anyone use it?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NordStageLegs--nord-keyboard-stand-ex

Yeah the Nord stand looks cool but from what I've heard - never owned one - it's a HUGE pia to set up on gigs. I remember an old thread where several owners chimed in about it. If it's for just an occasional, "special" gig, I could see it but not for frequent use.

2005 NY Steinway D

Yeah the Nord stand looks cool but from what I've heard - never owned one - it's a HUGE pia to set up on gigs. I remember an old thread where several owners chimed in about it. If it's for just an occasional, "special" gig, I could see it but not for frequent use.

Hi Dave - I use the Nord stand exclusively with my NS3-88 and I also have the Nord roller case that has a pocket to hold the legs for the stand. I leave the brackets attached, so I just need to attach the 4 legs and 2 braces when setting up.

Had a gig last night so I timed myself setting up the stand at home this morning at a leisurely pace. Total time: 2:13 from a closed, zipped case to assembled and moved into place. 24 seconds to unzip the case, take out the stand hardware, open up the main compartment and stand the NS3 on-end facing me. 56 seconds to attach the 4 legs (need to line things up correctly). 53 seconds to attach the braces, stand the NS3 up and move it into place.

The stability, small footprint, and room for pedals underneath are the top features for me. The minimalist look is a plus too. Perfect for a single board rig.

The most inconvenient part is the floor space necessary when assembling or disassembling, since the top cover of the case is flopped open and the legs are sticking out towards you. I also wish that they still included the extensions that increased the height of the stand by 4. They may be available in Europe, but not in the US.

Popping open a separate stand would be quicker, but then you have to transport and carry a separate piece of equipment and you lose a lot of the benefits of the Nord stand.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

Well, there you go. :thu:

Again I have zero experience with it. Just remember threads both here and the Nord forum where quite a few owners said, it ain't worth the hassle.

No question, it looks great. As does the Omega. What I'm using, not so much. But not into the visual thing much, it's super light, easy to set up and does the job for me.

2005 NY Steinway D

Archived