Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pro Tools Sound?

Hi Everybody!

Please, could anybody tell me if Pro Tools Software have a particular "sound" compared to other sequencer/audio recorders?

Yes, I know that the hardware is responsible for the in/out sound, but I just wonder if Pro Tools have a different, prefered sound over the other software.

I'm using Logic 5.5.1 with Digi001. I don't like Pro Tools so much, but if this improves the sound I'll switch. Right now, I don't hear any difference by myself (monitoring thru Mackie 824 and Yamaha NS10)

I always hear my productions thin sounding compared with other productions even knowing that many others do with very modest equipment.

My equipment: Panasonic DA7 mixer, dedicated PC 2.4 for Gigastudio with Delta 1010 Card, Dedicated PC with V-Stack, for VSTi's with Echo Gina24. Main Recording Pc PIV 2.4 with 1Gig Ram, Digidesign Digi001, Logic 5.51 , Waves plug-ins for processing and mastering

No phase problems. Maybe I'm paranoic but I don't know what else to try... I still hear my music "lacking" a deep, big sound. May be I'm so accustomed to the Studer/MCI combination studio I worked before... Is there any not so expensive solution for that big sound of analog?

Thank's in advance for your comments and help!

Best Regards

Jose Pereira

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jose Pereira:

I still hear my music "lacking" a deep, big sound. May be I'm so accustomed to the Studer/MCI combination studio I worked before... Is there any not so expensive solution for that big sound of analog?

If there IS one, Jose, please let me know right away!!

I don't think a Digi001 can come remotely close to sounding as good as Studer/MCI. You're talking about a cheap DAW interface compared to very nice (expensive) gear. I own a Digi001. The converters, as you undoubtedly know, are the weak link in the chain. In my opinion, the software makes far less of a difference than the converters.

Some people seem pretty happy with their RADAR gear, but in general, I'm usually not too impressed with stock converters that come with a DAW.

I'm still doing a lot of my tracking on analog, and always wonder whether I should go ahead and do more mixing in analog, too. I don't know. The tracks, the mixes, it all sounds good, but try as I might, big and fat with lots of depth, it ain't. What is it about digital that creates that flatness (even with additional room mics it still squishes everything down to aural wallpaper)? I have nice A/D converters to bypass the Digi001's converters and I still don't hear as much depth as I did with my analog setup.

Archived