Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Numa Stage Resetting Issue

Adam Burgess

Hey all.

I'm using a Numa Stage (white thing) at the moment for a few gigs... Past few nights it's rebooted itself a few time during the night. Tried a few IEC cables and different power at the gigs. Some on genny, some wall power... Couldn't seem to replicate it with any consistency.

BUT THEN it's also started not responding to the keyboard and then spitting the whole MIDI buffer out in one giant lovely mess! So I'm guessing there's more to it than a faulty power socket...

I'm using a Roland Integra7 (5 pin MIDI DIN) for sounds and that seems to check fine on a house gig using a Yamaha P45/85/95(?) on the same MIDI jack.

Any known problems or anything to look for when I open it up? Don't mind poking around the thing with a meter or hammer! Don't think it's that old or that well used, either. It's a cheap feeling thing and unfortunately have to use it for a couple of months. Used to Korg and Nord kinda bulletproofness...

Just luck that this stuff happened on a verse or whatever I could get away without being missed. If not, could've been a bit of a disaster. Never had a board really fail me in almost 30yrs! Bit of a shock!

Anyway - thanks in advance for any insights!

Adam

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

88b04270_676f_41fe_940e_865c18357f76.jpg 8363ef02_6a80_4a8c_98fd_958a7dc9ede5.jpg

Well, just as a reference if anyone needs it - reloaded the samples and firmware on it. No change.

Further testing at today's gig reveals it's not just the MIDI out that is affected, but also the internal engine, which I tried to use today as a backup incase it was the Roland module. Switching between MIDI and internal did not help. The power cycling hasn't happened at all for a while. Any known problems or things it could be? MIDI transceiver? It's so hard to make happen on demand, which is the worst type of issue!

It follows the same pattern - one note will hang/sustain for a while and other notes are normal. Then. maybe 10secs later, everything will buffer up until it does a kind of rhythmic pulse with all of the played notes at a steady tempo (digital timing?) before becoming unresponsive and unpredictable.

Anyway! Got some time today to open the thing up. Was surprised to see the power arrangement! To people who worry about mounting their switchmode wall-wart inside - seems good enough for Studiologic. Just glue an IEC inlet and a stick a $3 PSU in.

It's a really really light generic 12V switch mode PSU and flying leads. Doubt there's a very good transformer in there. There's a loose connection on the terminal receptacle with the first circuit board, anyway - so hope a quick solder touch up will do it.

Input 100-240V AC

Output is 12V@2.5A; centre +

Gonna replace the PSU with something a bit nicer and reflow the joints.

See what happens

Adam

Archived