Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Refining mixer/IEM monitor solution

Aidan

I'm currently using my Behringer XR18 to run my IEM rig. Current set-up is as follows:

* Two keyboards run in mono into channels 3 and 4 on the mixer, fed into Aux output 1 as well as (by default) the main mix;

* (Optional) Mic run into channel 2 of the mixer, also feeding Aux 1;

* Aux 1 goes to front of house;

* FoH mixer monitor send runs into channel 1 on the XR18, but of course nothing is sent to MY aux in this case.

So basically, this set-up allows me to hear the monitor mix sent from the main desk but at any time, I can get 'more of me' in my IEMs (which are plugged straight into the Behringer's headphone output btw) without affecting the mix I'm sending to FoH.

The set up is all well and good but:

a) it's a bit of hassle to set up and tear down quickly (I've added a small external router to the XR18 because of the unreliability of its built-in effort, so there are a couple of additional cables);

b) The touch screen can be difficult to adjust in the heat of battle, as it were.

So, I'm looking for an alternative which do the same as the above but with less hassle and in a VERY compact size.

The Rolls PM351 is an obvious contender but it only looks a goer if I'm only playing the one board is there a workaround to get it to mix in another channel?

The Radial Key Largo looks an attractive form factor but looking at pictures, I'm not sure whether you can make it do what the XR18 is doing for me now.

Any info on the above or other suggestions?

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downsides with the key largo is that it doesnt have a headphone amp (although I have found the outputs are enough to drive IEMs), its not possible to have a second independent mix and it doesnt have a mic input.

Would the XR18 work in your setup if you racked it up and pre-wired the power and router cables etc? Albeit mine is in a band context I have my XR18 in a rack with a power strip and the router Velcrod to the XR18. Makes setup/tear down a bit quicker

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

Hi Aiden

I've just been through a long process considering an IEM monitor/amp.

Criteria

- enough inputs for stereo keyboards, monitor mix and spare for any unforeseen requirements

- ambient mics

- compact

- limiters on all channels

- easy on the fly control.

I was looking initially at mixers, but didn't want the clutter or slow tear down of having extra cabling and ambient mic/stand. Then I looked at more digital solutions using phone based interfaces. Wifi/bluetooth is a variable I didn't want to introduce.

So, after weeks of consideration and advice taken, I bought the Zoom H6 - it's brilliant, and as compact as you can get. It can sit on your keyboard or mount on a 1/4" thread. I can even power it off the USB socket on the Kronos, so no wall warts and 1 less plug socket.

It gives me a setup that works standalone as well as part of a band IEM.

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

What are you using for IEM's? Since the Shure wireless IEM transmitter unit has dual combo inputs, I've at times made use of that. Since you're running mono, maybe the little 4 channel Behringer line mixer could work for you. Very small, 4 knobs, easy to quickly adjust at a gig. I use all combinations of things from my iPhone with a digital mixer to knobs and my K10 depending on the situation.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Hi Aidan,

Do you send a premixed "Aidan mic+keys" line to FoH? Do you not need to give the desk separate "Aidan vox" and "Aidan keys submix" channels? That's what the Rolls PM351 does that so many other mixers don't - a mic passthrough to FoH.

If you want a mic passthrough, then most of the solutions are "one mic + one foldback from desk". Rolls PM351 at least gives you a mic, an instrument and a foldback. You need two instrument channels it seems. There is a solution similar to the Rolls (it's analogue, it's not one of the many digital systems) which comes with a breakout box to connect more instruments in (I think the breakout box is basically a passive mixer) - but can I remember what it's called? Answers on a postcard, please...

Or add a baby passive mixer to the Rolls PM351? Their own Minimix range may have something that can sit above the PM351 velcro'ed to your rig (or the Behringer that Dan mentioned above). You could probably prewire a single PSU to feed both boxes.

If you can live with a premixed mic+keys to FoH then there are many small mixers which will do the job, using a pre-fade send to FoH as you describe. (I think you need to get a minimum of 4 mic channels and 2 stereo line pairs to get a pre-fade send).

Note that all my suggestions are analogue That will save you the effort of a wireless network and touch-screne problems. But I can't see you getting away from having to plug in a mic cable, two line-level cables and a set of phones/wireless transmitter.

Cheers, Mike.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Dan, I use a set of Shure SE215s straight from the headphone jack of the XR18. Mike, the need for a microphone is rare enough that it wouldn't matter sending a combined mic/keys mix to FoH.

After reading the above suggestions, and doing a bit more research myself today, I think the neatest solution is going to be to rack the XR18 and router in a 4U rack bag, and add in a proper IEM transmitter/receiver solution like the Shure PSM400. I might even squeeze in a small condenser mic in the empty half space for ambient purposes.

This, as Steve observed, will at least clean up the clutter and I can power it all from one cable.

I have been using an iPad on a K&M stand to manipulate all this but in truth I could probably get away with using the X Air app on my phone. Wouldn't be all that worse from what I have now. So I can save a couple of bits of carry-in, unless I need to use ForScore of course...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived