Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I finally joined the dark side...

Everyone told me to keep holding out for the updated powermac's, but I couldn't wait any longer...so, I bought a refurbished dual 2gig G5. Yeah!! My first Mac! My PC's will be jealous. I'm so excited I haven't even plugged it in yet. I just thought I'd share the joy. :)
I have no homepage.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got one of those puppies too. Gis a shout if you need any help.

Oh, how much RAM have you got?

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Yep, you'll need more than that.

I stuck another gig in mine and now it's flying.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Ohh yeah, what's it smell like?

Make sure you're up close when you plug it in, so you can get a good wiff of the first fan exhaust as it warms up, hmmm good! :D

Welcome to the world of peace, tranquility, and higher thinking.

Have fun, and enjoy, I hope to be joining you soon. :thu:

Sly :cool:

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

you have a lot to learn that now that you got your first mac.

Stand infron of the mirror and practice your arrogent face, you need to look sofisticated (sp?) and at the same down have pitty on the rest of the world (pc users)

Its a hard place to be, owning a mac, but damn, its worth it :D

congrat on your new toy, may the joy be with you.

Danny

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

Originally posted by Mr Darling:

you have a lot to learn that now that you got your first mac.

Indeed. I'll give you a brief overview of the horror that awaits you.

1. Install Panther

2. Install your software.

3. Double click on your application icon, and begin working.

4. Smile. :)

Oh, the horror. :D

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

O.K. my first free moment to play with my new mac, I turn it on, and it doesn't recognize the keyboard or the mouse. It boots up to the Welcome page, and from there I am stuck. I tried plugging the keyboard into the display and the computer, same result both times. I paid for my zen. Where is it?
I have no homepage.

Originally posted by Salodious:

Sounds like you got a bum keyboard :(

Maybe you have another USB keyboard around you could try?

It doesn't have to be a Mac one to work.

Call Apple, they will overnight a new one to you.

alas, I have no other usb keyboards. Why doesn't the mouse work if I plug it directly into the computer? Does it always have to go through the keyboard? Apple Care is closed, so I will have to wait until tomorrow. :(
I have no homepage.

The mouse should work if it's plugged in directly.

Maybe your USB controller is bad?

When the Mac is started and the keyboard and mouse are plugged in, does pressing Caps-Lock light up the green light under the key? Does the red light come on in the optical mouse?

Also make sure you are plugging into the USB ports and not FireWire ;)

Well, let's see. The green caps light is on, but the caps lock doesn't turn on or off. The mouse light is off through the keyboard. If I plug it directly into the cpu, the light comes on through only one of the USB slots. And even then the on-screen cursor still doesn't move. Interesting.

Also make sure you are plugging into the USB ports and not FireWire ;)

Hey, I'm not that dumb. :D
I have no homepage.

Originally posted by Salodious:

Dark = Good

Name ONE thing that isn't better when it's dark.

Chocolate, for one, but thats a matter of opinion.

And to Surfmonkey, yeah if the keyboard-mouse aint working, just give Apple a call. Its not rocket science, and something is obviously strange. It should work fine just by plugging it into the Cinema display. And congrats on joining the "RIGHT" side.

aLoN

Apple deemed it DOA and is shipping me another one. This of course was after I had to make numerous phone calls, speak to supervisors, and convince them that I wasn't going to take this thing into my nearest Apple repair center. Ha! Ship me a new computer!!! They finally agreed, but man, Apple is not starting off on the right foot with me! :mad:

Oh Yeah, then they tried to tell me that they were going to ship the new one out on regular ground service. Not!!

I have no homepage.

really? even the g4's that have been upgraded to the quiet fans from apple?

my g4 was the noisiest thing i ever heard next to a jet engine. it was so bad it rattled the cd door all the time. it was so noisy i had to turn it off at night so i could sleep one story down and across the house; i aint kidding either!!!! it really was that stinking loud!

i got the fans and power supply from apple for $20 and its so quiet now i can hardly tell its running even sitting next to it. its literally about as loud as a DVD player playing a movie with no tv attached.

my 9600's are pretty noisy but they are in a quiet box so i dont hear them.

my pc is pretty quiet. i have no idea why, it just is. no need for a box.

glad you got a nice g5, hope it works out for you. i bet it will. this keyboard problem will likely be the biggest headache for you in the long run considering you arent going to be extension swapping in os9 with a g5 or dealing with IRQ and hardware incompatibility in XP or 98.

OSX on my G4 used to crash a lot, every day multiple times. it never crashes now that i never sleep it. it hasnt crashed in over a month of solid use since i stopped putting it to sleep.

dont know if its an issue with the g5's or not, but maybe something to think about. i DO know that unix-based os's dont like to startup; they seem to like to run all the time.

i leave my XP box running all the time also, but it doesnt seem to care if i shut it off.

All right. So I got the replacement G5, and and plugged it in today. It is the loudest god damn thing I have ever heard. This has to be a mistake right?? The first one I recieved was whisper quiet. This one is so loud I can't even begin to describe it. Aggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. WTF? An other G5 owners have this problem?? The fans are pumping out so much air, it is causing a breeze through my room. I'm in panic mode now... :mad::cry:
I have no homepage.

Maybe the reason it was dead, was because the fans weren't eorking. My experience with PC's is that when there is a heat issue it will boot up and then eather freeze or just reboot again. maybe that's what was happenign.

So the reason the first was so quiet, was becasue there wasn't proper cooling.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

So I called apple this morning. Tried a bunch of firmware updates and fan fixes. Nothing worked. They can't figure out why the fans are on high all the time. As a side note, they also installed the wrong OS on my mac. It is supposed to have Panther installed, but has Jaguar instead, which one tech suggested was part of the problem. Anyway, after hours of tech suggestions, followed by me yelling at apple employee's, they are shipping me yet another computer . This will be #3. I don't know what to say about apple. Customer service, not so good. Don't ever buy a refurbished apple computer. That's my experience anyway.
I have no homepage.

Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly:

I thought they were just replacing the keyboard. Does the keyboard work now?

No, they replaced the whole computer. It wouldn't recognize the keyboard, the mouse, or anything else plugged in to any of the USB ports.
I have no homepage.

Originally posted by Henchman:

So the reason the first was so quiet, was becasue there wasn't proper cooling.

No, the fans were working fine in the first one. This one sounds like a leaf blower. And, it is pushing a ton of air through the back. The fans are staying on high for some reason. It's not hot where I'm at.
I have no homepage.

I've been on the "dark" side for a long time. I'm sorry that your first tip here has not been smooth. I've never had to send a machine back because of a simple problem; as a matter of fact I never had to send a machine back, for ANY reason.

I'd like to know what happens when the new machine comes, so don't get freaked out by this glitch. When you get the machine, stay on top of this thread.

I'll be checking back here to see how it hooks up.

OS X and iTunes rocks.

Sly :cool:

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Archived