Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whoooopeeee!!!! I don't *completely* suck with computers!!

This is a silly post.

It really is.

But I don't care. I feel quite happy. I'm on vacation, so I decided to do a few things to my computer. I'm really fumbly with 'em, so you know, it's a little terrifying at first. None of these things were difficult, but if you've never done it before, how do you know?

Since yesterday, I've upgraded my G4 from OS9.1 to OS9.2.2, upgraded the firmware, and installed Ohmforce Frohmage and did a mix in Pro Tools using it (this is so hopefully I can upgrade the processor soon).

And I fixed a slightly buggy CD-R burning program in my WinXP computer....whoooohooooo!!!!!! :D:D

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"They're trying to run Real Player behind a firewall without the proxy set. Can you believe that?"

Hey Ken, if you need help, let me know. I'm kind of a computer expert according to my boss. No, I don't work at AOL. Good one, though.

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

You know what probably took the longest? Backing up everything on the Macintosh HD. I didn't trust the OS upgrade, so I backed up everything. And then, the upgrade, first to 9.2.1, and then again to 9.2.2, went smooth as silk. Just follow the prompts...

I long time ago, I upgraded from Win95 to Win98. What a freakin' disaster. Everything except the printer stopped working. I was running SAW+ at the time, a recording/editing program, and both that and the soundcard stopped working. I never got it to work properly again after that. The scanner stopped working. I had trouble with all the applications. I was forced to reinstall Win95, and even then, I could never get the soundcard to work again. But I could literally write a small novela on how much trouble I had with Win95....it was as if the whole OS was literally disintegrating the entire time.

So since then, I've been absolutely terrified of upgrading things. But this computer - knock on wood - has been rock solid so far except for one awful crash caused by Norton Utilities. All these updates have gone flawlessly, and everything is working really well. If my processor upgrade goes as smoothly, I'll have this computer for probably another couple of years... :thu:

I knew that the Mac/PC flames would rear their head before this thread was through!

Seriously, though, the Windows upgrades never seem to go smoothly. I always prefer a clean install. Mac stuff? Generally flawless, but good to backup regularly. Good job on your upgrade!

-----------

John\'s Songs

Man, just last night I found my MP3's and was able to retrieve them. I had got a new hard drive, a 200Gig for $129.00. I couldn't afford it but I figured it should last me for some years. So, I installed the drive, broke it up into two, one partition for music, and one for pictures and started transferring stuff. Half way thru the music it hiccups. I re-start the pc and all my songs from Earth, Wind and Fire thru Ziggy Marley are gone. I find them on the picture drive but Access is denied .What the ?. You guys's music, Keyboard mag samples, riffs, all that stuff , gone. I been collecting this stuff since '96.

When I looked at the file, it reported 0 bytes. But when I let the virus scanner look at it it reported 30gigs.

I found out in safe mode the administrator can take ownership of any files on the pc. It took 2.5 hours to transfer all that stuff. don't ask me what I did, it was trail and error, and I'm just lucky. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by jlampson:

I knew that the Mac/PC flames would rear their head before this thread was through!

:D I know you're kidding around, but actually, if anything, it's an anti-Windows 95 slam. I had Win95 "A", and I couldn't think of a more crumbly, pathetic operating system, something that's barely worthy to do text documents on. I think PCs are so much better now, and I use one regularly for web site stuff.

KCBass, maybe while it's still fresh in your head, you should try and document what you did so that if it happens again, you have some idea which steps you took. Just an idea...

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

KCBass, maybe while it's still fresh in your head, you should try and document what you did so that if it happens again, you have some idea which steps you took. Just an idea...

And it's a good idea,too. I was too embarrassed to ask for help, I didn't want to appear stupid. Stupid as I am, I'm the computer guy at work. :D but I like to try this, try that until it works again. I'm satified with just knowing I been there before and know I can punch my way out. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Ask the stupid questions. If you have given it an honest try and you don't know, ask....

I've been in charge of a non-profit organization's web site Captive Daughters) for a couple of years or so, and it's almost laughable because I suck so bad on a computer. But the thing was that I was the least worst at a computer since the other people can barely handle receiving and sending email. But if I keep plugging away, I can generally get somewhere. As long as they don't want Flash...

Archived