Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HEHE cant resist... A Sour Apple

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rensonic:

Apple runs a very interesting business. They really don't sell hardware. Rather, they sell a vision. The vision is that of Apple being an elite computer company building elite computers for elite people. They sell status to Mac users
As a Mac user I'd have to say that there is some truth behind that comment. Sometimes the "cool factor" sells more computers than the actual specs themselves. So, AMDs are fasters? Who cares? Is estability you're paying for, not speed... just kidding. :D

I luv my mac. :love: (is not a GeeFive)

that's probably why, when I started here threee years ago, I ordered one of these

http://www.ianmc.com.au/images/cube.jpg

just cause they were going away and we wanted one in the arsenal.

BTW it works just fine for me (Art Director - Printing and Advertising Production) :D

Lynn G

Originally posted by Rog:

Originally posted by theblue1:

Not to worry. Some people just can't talk about tech stuff without mentioning the size of the other person's genitalia.

Lol.

I was only being about 1/3 serious but never mind.

I must use more ;):P:):D in future.

LOL, as well!

;):P:):D are the lubrication that helps a lot of opinions fit in a small place.

Cheers!

Originally posted by theblue1:

Some people just can't talk about tech stuff without mentioning the size of the other person's genitalia.

At least Mr. jobs learned some restraint in that regard as of late.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Don't get me wrong -- as much as some of Apple's, er, exaggerations have irritated me -- I have an enormous amount of respect for Jobs and Co. in turning Apple around. It was clearly a herculean effort and I think the Mac just gets better and better. More power to 'em!

The whole "fastest computer" claim is based on benchmark results, but Apple is very good at picking the benchmarks that put their product in the best light.

I don't really think the elitism accusation is off base. For that writer to imply that that's the only reason we use Macs is ignorant, but there's a certain kind of behavior- I've also seen this in vegetarians- some people want to feel set apart from the crowd, and feel like they've got some better way that nobody else is in on. A snobbishness, a self-righteousness. It happens, I've seen it. I've heard Mac users described as "cult-like" because of it. There's no defending that. But that writer has his own issues. He's also ignoring a big elephant in the corner of the room, which is that using a PC usually means using the Microsoft OS. I realize that it's come a long way, but...(shudder).

I would also point out that he's writing on a website devoted to high-performance computing: overclockers, people who push their hardware to get that extra 5 or 10 percent performance out of it. People who don't use their computers like other people do. :idea: People who are set apart from most computer users, and feel like they've got a better way! Computer snobs! Maybe he's so outraged by the Mac behavior because it's a reflection of what he is himself, and it hits too close to home.

Originally posted by dementia13:

...I would also point out that he's writing on a website devoted to high-performance computing: overclockers, people who push their hardware to get that extra 5 or 10 percent performance out of it. People who don't use their computers like other people do. People who are set apart from most computer users, and feel like they've got a better way! Computer snobs! Maybe he's so outraged by the Mac behavior because it's a reflection of what he is himself, and it hits too close to home.

Great point. I just sort of scanned the overclocker's site article. But I have to say I sort of have a sense of tolerant amusement about the translucent-panel-and-mobo-lightshow crowd, myself -- and that in itself is, of course, an equally pernicious elitism. :D

Archived