Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland se-02 question

keyskat

Can I hook up my Moog expression pedal to my se-02 cv inputs?I need to be able to sweep the filter,control volume,etc...using the cv inputs which are1/8 TS.

My Ep-3 is 1/4TRS.I found a 1/8 TS to 1/4TS cable online but not sure the ep3 pedal will work that way.Do I need a different pedal?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since no one answered yet...I believe it will work. There's nothing in the manual that indicates a powered pedal is required (like the original minimoog). Seems you already caught on that a mono (TS) plug is required so I'm guessing the the EP3 with the adapter you called out will work.

Since the EP3 allows reversing the Tip/Ring give it a try with the wiper going to Tip. If it doesn't work try the reverse switch. Please let us know how it works out.

Sorry guys, Would have checked this out earlier but have been really busy.

Ok I grabbed a Proline Expression pedal and some jacks and jumper cables and tried every conceivable hookup and got no filter sweep out of my SE-02. Also checked the CV input jack

with a voltmeter and found no voltage present.

So I wired up a 9 V battery across a 50K potentiometer and

ran the ground to ring and the wiper to tip. That got everything working. So I'm inclined to say you need a powered CV pedel to make the Frequency CV input work on the SE-02.

A better solution was suggested by "hardware" a few weeks ago.

Use one of these

Midi Pedal

This way you could map the pedal to any midi parameter Freq, Vol, Cross mod etc...

-Karl

MPCX, RD-800, Vsynth, Matrix 12

Nice work Karl. Roland is very specific about using a mono cable and yet no mention of needing a powered pedal? :idk :facepalm:

Even sillier imo is that you need a powered pedal to begin with. There are very few options out there for powered pedals and while I get this is a near clone of the mini, why bother? Might as well just go with a midi solution.

The Reflex looks to be a wonderful pedal/processor. But it's near half the price of the SE-02 and not ideal for a budget synth. There are less expensive options going the midi route.

Control Voltage means what it says.

Yes it does. However the pedal need not source the voltage. A passive pedal can Control the Voltage as well, provided the synth/keyboard sources the voltage. I have several synths that label their input CV that use passive pedals. Granted most of us know these as expression pedal inputs as opposed to CV inputs.

Now I am a little bit confused and somewhat disappointed ...My ep-3 works on the control voltages of my Little phatty and my Model D.I thought the problem would be the TS connection not the lack of power.Since this module was loosely based on the Model D...Midi doesnt work for my application since all my foot controller inputs on the my Motif are assigned already.I need to operate the se-02 filter and volume independently.Thanks for the input guys.

No doubt you're a bit confused - it's not you. From the Moog Model D manual:

FILTER INPUT

A 0 to +5 volt control voltage signal connected to this input jack will affect the Cutoff Frequency of the Filter.

NOTE: The OSCILLATOR, VELOCITY, and FILTER input jacks are equipped with TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve)

connectors with a current-limited +5V on the ring. This allows each parameter to be controlled via

control voltage signal or from a Moog EP-3 expression pedal.

So by Moog supplying(sourcing) the 5V supply internally allows a standard expression pedal to work. Apparently not the case with the Se-02 per Karl's testing. To use the 1/8" mini jack you will need a pedal that sources the voltage.

Here's a link to a pedal summary that the group has been working on this past year.

Pedal Summary

Here's another that may also help you:

Pedal Link. If you have more comments/questions specific to pedals maybe best to address them in one of these links.

Hope this helps.

No doubt you're a bit confused - it's not you. From the Moog Model D manual: ... by Moog supplying(sourcing) the 5V supply internally allows a standard expression pedal to work.

Is that from the current model D, and is that a change from the original? I seem to remember that the original did indeed require an actual voltage-generating pedal, the SE-02 may have simply stayed faithful to that.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes, it is from the re-issue Model D manual and yes the original does need a power supplied pedal. No doubt Roland/SE just tied those CV jacks to the same points as done on the original mini.

Moog may just sell a few more EP-3 pedals for smartly updating the CV inputs. They deserve it.

Archived