Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bass and lead

alecras234

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play a lot of bass and I work with a good bassist. It's what the song calls for. ..... And I played in several bands where we had no bassist. I was the bassist. One band had two keyboardist and no bassist.

There are no rules. Genre oftentimes determines best practices. Do what the the song calls for.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Like CEB said do what the song call for. If the keyboard isn't playing bass I didn't unless my left hand was the bass player. Most of the time we did have a bass guy. Sometimes I used one hand to wave to people I knew and only played with the other. Other times I was very busy.

IMHO "lead" is not a particularly keyboardesque word, but certainly it's absolutely possible to play a melody/top line or similar with one hand, and a bassline with the other. Organists in a trio do this all the time - check out Jim Alfredson with Organissimo for a top example.

If you think of bassline/harmony/melody as three elements in the frequency spectrum then:

- In a jazz piano trio, the pianist is often playing harmony (left hand) and melody (right hand), and the bass player is playing, well, bass

- In an organ trio, the organist plays bass (left hand, and/or pedals) and melody with the right hand. Guitar provides harmony

- Solo piano accompanying a singer - the piano plays bass and harmony, and the singer sings a melody.

This is obviously a huge simplification, but hopefully helps the OP understand the possibilities.

Cheers, Mike.

Archived