Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Running Small PA in Mono?

Hey folks, a little advice needed:

Just switched our Bose/Crown PA to mono from a stereo setup. My one question is how to most effectively play Cds & Minidiscs, initally stereo recordings to sum to mono?

Currently I use a dual rca cable coming out from the stereo units plugged into a 1/4" mono adaptor (2 female 1/4" inputs feeding a 1/4" mono plug). I insert this into the left (on a stereo input) side on a Mackie 1202 mixer and pan hard left.

Is there a more effective way to do this? Is this the best way to convert a stereo source to mono?

What if I plugged in stereo the whole way, right up till the mono feed I give my amp from the Mackie I only use the left output)?

Any insight greatly appreciaated, 88

YOU DON'T NEED A BAND!

http://www.RockgardenMusic.com

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you plug into a stereo line input on a Mackie (or most other compact mixers), feeding a mono system from one side will yield only that side of the program signal.

This is because the stereo inputs on these mixers are hard wired left to left and right to right. The pan control on these channels is actually a balance control. Balancing levels of two inputs rather than directing one input to two outputs in equal or different measures. If you're feeding monitors with the right channel, then mains would get only the left signal and monitors the right signal. It's a big deal when you start playing songs with lead vocals hard panned one way and backgrounds hard panned the other way.

I wanted to slap the video installers at the MARS Music I worked at. They set up just such a situation between the PA department's FOH system and the feed to the ceiling speakers. When we played a videotape with California Dreamin' the lead vox came from the FOH PA and the harmonies from any TV in another department that was switched to the house video feed. :rolleyes:

I would do exactly what you're already doing, however, I would ditch the 1/4" stereo to 1/4" mono adapter for a cable wired with the appropriate ends. Those 1/4" adapters are bulky, put undo strain on your jacks, and often become loose causing dropouts and loud pops.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived