Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New (well, mostly) Christmas music

d  halfnote

d

Ya I can see what you mean about the Taylor Swift echoes-and the T-shirt, especially with the singer`s mention of Robert Smith.

I find their arrangements less busy than a lot of Ms. Swift`s songs, which I appreciate.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't really comment much abt the Cure as much as the face makeup but I def heard some TS vox there in the general sound. which is, of course, the general , uh, general sound of, uh, general pop music, uh, generally.
d=halfnote

My new favorite, from British band Big Big Train:

[video:youtube]

And for those who think of the holiday season in a slightly les Christian tradition, they covered that aspect the other year, as well. Wassail! [video:youtube]

Sounds quite Tull-ish with that flute, doesn't it?

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Can't really comment much abt the Cure as much as the face makeup but I def heard some TS vox there in the general sound. which is, of course, the general , uh, general sound of, uh, general pop music, uh, generally.

Well you know, there`s the generals and there`s the troops. The troops tend to follow the generals. If you don`t necessarily agree with the generals but you do your best and follow them anyway, what title do you earn?

That`s right-a trooper!

Now back to the music- bilingual Japanese star Namie Amuro has a song called `Christmas Wish`, which is reminiscent-maybe a little TOO reminiscent-of Mariah Carey`s `All I Want for Christmas is You`. But frankly I find Namie`s melody even more catchy. It`s too bad that 7-11 has picked it up as a theme song, meaning it`s locked down tighter than a nuclear launch code. I had to really search to find this clip. It`s kind of the `it` song in Japan at the moment, enjoy.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EbbW-ZBoj4

Big Big Train: I like the drums track's syncopation & the plopping wham of the snare. Nice melody too.

However Wassail wins that match-up on several grounds: snappier (though not better) drums, cool harmony vox, fun & funky kboards, spiffy groove, neat vid FX...I'll haveta chk them out further.

UH OH, the gtr solo just hit--- :like:

Thanks !

Namie Amuro may be a bit too poppy for me right now but I guess you got those YT access probs fixed, Skip, so I'm glad to see that !

As we wind down for the holidaze, here's one I just discovered.

Reminds me just a bit of the PFloyd track that follows...

But to get back to XMasality...

& a cautionary tale for those who can't take good advice...

But to cool things off a bit, here's a really nice jazzy take on things (please engage yer sense o'humour ) :facepalm::pop::D ...

For those still hanging w/me, here's one to get some sparks goin' by the fireplace tonight.

But can't leave it there, so here's some fire to keep ya'll warm til next year !

d=halfnote

Dangnacious, DanZ !

Hey, all due respect to how skilled Bill actually is as a singer [1:58 bent note "when the children wake" + 2:17 "pretty puhleeeeease"] but, even more important, who's doing that fantastic guitar work throughout ?!

Izzat Dave Spinozza ? (the only gtr name I recognize in the band credits at [ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4537842/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast ]

d=halfnote

Could be likely. But as most those band members credited are from Shaffer's "Most Dangerous Band" Letterman line-up, it could also be Sid McGinnis.

Regardless. Good sound.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived