Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New (well, mostly) Christmas music

d  halfnote

Starting w/ a gtr track...

[video:youtube]

Then something for the kiddies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZoPEy6c0wI

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZoPEy6c0wI

Something for us older kiddies...

One for the whole family...

A bit of comic relief...

Pops Bob Dyl gives us another comic interlude...

Scary Uncle Don Vliet sends the kids to bed for a nightmare...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkfcToGzybM

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkfcToGzybM

Poppa JB offers this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz48PR__uSo

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz48PR__uSo

Finally, from deep in the past & the Brewster Housing projects in early 1960s Detroit, where ya couldn't get more ghotto, Flo Ballard, the heart of the the Supremes bids us goodnight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b9UqZlZxxs

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b9UqZlZxxs

Now, it's yer turn !

Whatcha got ?

d=halfnote

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, yes! Flo Ballard, the one who SHOULD have been lead singer of The Supremes.

I'd probably just load up a lot of "traditional" Christmas music as I can take or leave most "modern" efforts. But I'll offer a couple of faves---

I have this by The Mormon Tabernacle, but couldn't find a clip of theirs...

And this is my all time favorite Christmas LP ever, from when I was a kid and it came out in '57! Well, Side 1

And Side 2:

:)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Thanks for stepping in w/ something modern there, LarZ, I like that!

I was afraid the ghost of Bing Crosby & the Tabla-Knackered Choir had killed the idea.

[font:Comic Sans MS]Who's next ?[/font]

d=halfnote

Well....the ghost of Christmas past WAS my favorite spirit in the Dickens story. ;)

But, (and think about this) I own a 12 year old Chevy Equinox. Still runs like a champ, and never needed to take it in for service during all it's warranty covered period. My brother in law has a 2017 Equinox, bought just this past Sept. and already had it in for service five times. Looks as though "modern" is no guarantee of quality. :D

Whitefang

Yeah, I "get it". But I also get that "something new" isn't always worth the time or effort.

A "Hip-Hop" version of "Jingle Bells" or "We Three Kings" might be good for a LAUGH maybe, and if THAT sort of thing is part of your goal here, then I apologize for the intrusion. But I quit paying much attention to "new" Christmas song offerings back when that mushy "Beautiful Shoes" came out a few years ago. So, I'll back out and leave you to it. :)

Whitefang

I have to side with Fang on new is not always better. Here at work every time they improve the computer programs or way they want to do things nothing works as well. Emails go to junk randomly, internet freezes a few times a day and what I did for 30 plus years in an afternoon takes three weeks of waiting while legal and others screw with my contracts then I need three others to sign off. My 2012 F-150 is doing ok at 184,000 miles but the radio and blue tooth phone crapped out last week. My 1998 F-150 tranny quit at 298,000 miles with only 1 wheel bearing, a water pump and two or three sets of brakes changed plus oil filters and spark plugs twice. I gotta get serious and retire soon but money is good and work not too hard. I think another year. Jim

Yeah, I "get it". But I also get that "something new" isn't always worth the time or effort.

A "Hip-Hop" version of "Jingle Bells" or "We Three Kings" might be good for a LAUGH maybe, and if THAT sort of thing is part of your goal here, then I apologize for the intrusion. But I quit paying much attention to "new" Christmas song offerings back when that mushy "Beautiful Shoes" came out a few years ago. So, I'll back out and leave you to it.

I couldn't hope for more.... :rolleyes:

I have to side with Fang on new is not always better. Here at work every time they improve the computer programs or way they want to do thing...........

:freak:

WTF?

Although some seem trapped in some nostalgic miasma, the point here's not to debate old/new/better/worse nor, especially , to complain abt modern tech at yer job.

:rolleyes:

The idea's to post some new or at least relatively recent Xmas music.

What's the difficulty in just doing that?

d=halfnote

:cop:

Maybe because they'd have to waste time they'll never get back in looking for it?

Will the sad party pooper, who's the only waste of time here, just go home ?

----------------------------------------------

Hey, Thanks, Hugo !

:like:

Great bass line & horns !

Not to mention the hilarious lyrix. :laugh:

& they didn't stop ther but kept new elements coming all the way through the jazz woodwinds ending.

From where do I almost recognize that gtr chop ?

d=halfnote

Coolacious, Danz, love that kinda melodic mashup !

Thinking musicians !

That bit w/ the laughing drums starting 3:00 is both high-larious & extremely astute.

:roll:

Incidentally, this came up for me in the YT follow-up...

Can we say this altogether ? "Funky prog !"

W/just the perfect touch of harmonic distortion (chk at the 4 min mark) & that polyrhythmic treatment of the final couple minutes = :2thu:

d=halfnote

Hard to beat the Trans Siberian Orchestra for a new twist on old Christmas songs and productions. They put on great Christmas shows every year. I did get to see them live a few years ago and the light shows are amazing too! Here's a sample:

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

Okey Doke, Lar...& I understand there are a couple TSO subgroups touring this year, even though Paul O'Neill's not there anymore.

One's legacy could be worse...

"The Carol O' Th' Bells" seems to be making a takeover bid here so I'll pass on linking to Lindsey Strirling's balletic version (chk YT) & take things back down a bit to kiddie level (well, sorta----if you know some pirate kids :laugh: ) as the ever comic-mysterious Sia invites the neighborhood to a party at her house.

"This is Christmas, Baby !"

d=halfnote

....so I'll back out and leave you to it.

:rolleyes: promises, promises....

----------------------------------------------------------------------

To clear the air or maybe get back into the right atmosphere :D here's an idea for a special treat for Santy C...he might just leave all the gift bags at yer place!

...or from the other side o' the world we got...

d=halfnote

I'm all for a band giving their own take on a holiday classic. Unless it's Winter Wonderland, Sleigh Ride or Jingle Bells... so over them. But the world needs more fresh music.

What happens when a band records a new song, and it becomes a bit of a hit, like so...

And then, at the end of the same album, record an alternative version, with more of a minor feel (at least in the chorus)?

Personally, I like the "Reimagined" version better. Makes on wonder what was their original vision for the song, and if perhaps the producer said "no, we need a cheery major key version to become a hit".

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I don't think I've ever come across that approach before...& the results were both worthwhile, so double :2thu: .

Thanks for bringing that to our attention, Danz!

As for yer list of prohibited carols I presume that "Winter Wonderland" is the Dick Smith/ Felix Bernard tune we commonly know as "Shopping in a winter wonderland" ?

Y'know..."later on we'll perspire

as we stare at the fire

& face so afraid

the bills left unpaid

from shopping in a winter wonderland"....

:D

A bit more seriously a case can be made for a re-arrangement of that one by incorporating elements from the Beatles tune "Fixing A Hole".

Start by, uh, affixing the rising line ending the bridge of "F A H"

[ 0:52~0:55 in this clip]

to the ending of the bridge in "Wonderland".

If one listens carefully you'll find other connections the 2 songs share.

Or one could simply skip all that work & listen to this

d=halfnote

Perfect segue-here`s one which is a short time jump from Christmas, but is a nice little trip into new music. I`ve been on this band`s video mailing list for a couple of years and usually I`m just too busy for a proper listen-especially since they are based in the U.K. This time I did sit down and listen-uncle Skipclone approves.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

That's cool, Skip.

Thanks!

While it would likely startle --- even shock--- the band I found myself being reminded of Taylor Swift while listening, not just from the production values & the lyric text but even, just a bit, the vocal tone.

I like 'em.

The T shirt here explains a lot :D

d=halfnote

While not exactly new, here's one those 24/7 Christmas music radio stations 'round here never seem to put on...

This one either

Kinda surprising that they did a Christmas alb (Aqualung & all)...although IA still manages to get huffily didactic.

You might like this one, which almost sounds like Dire Straits. :freak:

d=halfnote

Archived