Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please Lend Me Your Ears

Hello All,

I need opinions. I've remixed both versions of "I Wonder" & "Remember When", "Surrender" long version and "Make A Wish" long version. The first time, I had boosted the EQ on my mixer resulting in some very nasty low booms. I've also removed and pops or clicks that were there. I think I got them all. I have not used any effects whatsoever on these tracks other than the ones that were on the original recordings. I have not learned how to add any software effects into the mix yet.

Any feedback will be appreciated, vocals or guitar too loud, not loud enough etc.

thank you in advance,

Joe

Jokerelli

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Jokerelli,..

I've listened to three songs.

I wonder and remember when, the vocals are a bit soft and unclear. The beats on the songs sound a little bit to midi for me but I dunno if you did that on purpose to get that eighties sound.

Wild at heart is different. The vocals are mixed in fine only the singer is a bit out of tune now and then.

All three songs seem to have a sort of flanging effect. Made this is due to the mp3 encoding?

Overall : Nice songs! allthough I miss depth in the mixes. Like the style by the way ;)

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

thanks for the response. These were recorded directly from a 4-track fostex onto harddrive. The first time, I did this, I went thru my mackie mixer and boosted the bass & treble and created other problems. It's bad enough I can't play any instruments or sing very well. I'm still trying to figure out the software effects, eq'ing etc. And another problem is I don't have studio quality monitors nor can I afford them right now. But I appreciate the feedback greatly.

I Wonder:

It was difficult to make a good analysis because the song MP3 was so compressed down. It makes it sound very thin

The vocals have too much chorusing on them. People with low confidence in their vocal ability OFTEN use way too many effects on their voices. Also their are several spots where the singer goes sharp.

I was fond of the middle breakdown section. In fact, I think it would be cool if the song started with that section.

I think the song is about a minute too long. There isn't enough happening in the music to keep my interest past maybe 2 and a half minutes.

I like the tune, it just needs a little love to make it work.

"Make A Wish" long version

Good tune.

Bring those vocals UP in the mix. I would add a backing vocal on the "What are you waiting for..." section. Something to thicken it up and add some variety.

I would add a string/synth pad in on the 2nd verse.

The middle 8 section with the guitar is cool.

The song is good, but needs things to dress it up. Like the first tune, it suffers from not having enough variety. I think the string/synth pad, and some backing vocals woud help greatly.

Surrender:

Vocals are too far up in the mix. Put a little reverb on her too. I like her voice. It has a Debra Harry quality to it.

Once again....the song it too long. I don't know how you can get around that since there are so many lyrics. But I got half way through it and was wondering how much more there was...

The instruments and variations were good in this tune.

I like a hi-hat with the drums.

That's all I've had time to listen to.

By the way,

Has anyone ever told you that you look like Roger Taylor from Duran Duran??? :cool:

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/Piercinggirl/Duran/Roger_dressed_up.jpghttp://www.soundclick.com/images/jokerelli.jpg

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

I Wonder:

The vocals have too much chorusing on them. People with low confidence in their vocal ability OFTEN use way too many effects on their voices.

"Make A Wish" long version

Good tune.

The middle 8 section with the guitar is cool.

Surrender:

Vocals are too far up in the mix. Put a little reverb on her too. I like her voice. It has a Debra Harry quality to it.

Once again....the song it too long.

The instruments and variations were good in this tune.

I like a hi-hat with the drums.

By the way,

Has anyone ever told you that you look like Roger Taylor from Duran Duran??? :cool:

Thanks Super 8. Here's few things. You're right, after all these years, I've finally been able to muster a little more confidence in my vocals, but I do tend to hide behind effects. Trying to break that habit. This was after years of trying unsucessfully to find soneone who would sing my stuff. Make A Wish has no guitar on it. It's all keys. Thanks for the comments on it. It was one of my favorites and the one I've received the least feedback on. Regarding effects, I brought everything into digital as clean as I could. I'm still trying to figure out how to add the effects into the mix on the computer. I can add them in on playback at this point but that's about it. I always got too hyper and excited when I wrote a song and would just keep going. and as a former DJ, I always tended to write my songs too long with an extended version and short version in mind. DJs appreciate the 7 minute plus songs so they can go the the bathroom and grab a beer before getting back to the mix.

lol, Roger Taylor, no Glen Danzig, yes.

Archived