Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Little Charlie and the Nightcats

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah sorry, I was talking about the guitar player "Little" Charlie Baty. He's got his own style that I just dig! Every CD has at least one guitar dominated instrumental on it and I love listening to it and trying to sort out what he's doing and where's he's going to next. I've been performing a song called "Percolatin'" from the SHADOW OF THE BLUES CD. Good Stuff! People love it and it's a fretboard workout.

You're right too, the harmonica player Rick Estrin is great too.

Little Charlie & Rick rule - a big fan here, both the wife and I have been to a lot of their shows.

I wouldn't be able to swap ideas about how to play like that though - Little Charlie is in a swingin, jumpin, rockabilly, jazz, blues class all his own ! I guess he has his influences like anyone else, I saw him and Duke Robillard cut heads one night - that was fun !

Now ya got my knees twitchin - I might have to jitterbug for a bit :D

Originally posted by sleepyeddiejames:

Anyone want to swap some ideas, tabs, tricks, etc?

I think this guy is awesome!

He flows between so many styles almost effortlessly.

HEY,HEY noddy!

I went to your page. cool. so you got a job huh? lucky guy.. ahahaha!

whats a cat like you doing in a place like that?

how did you end up in that place?

if I may ask, what year is that strat in the pic and what type of rig do you play it through?

do most of the folkes over there understand your words and if not, then how do you overcome the language barrier?

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

I have had about fifteen or so Mouth harps till I wore them slap out and while it's cool to hear a mouthharp I don't wanna hear it on everytune. then it seems to lose it's effectiveness as a flavor and becomes an overpowering taste.

a subtle harmonica line at the right instant will change a tune over into a new animal everytime. only, I really like Texas Pete brand hot sauce,

but still I don't put HOT SAUCE on everything I eat.

I saw pics of those cats and I hope I look as fit and as cool as them, one day .

I gotta hear these cats.

There are some groups that i would just PAY to see if i could'nt slide in a side door to check 'em out and this group might be one of them.

you know there is something special about a group of hep cats when all the patrons coming to see them are band folke and whatnot.

I like to pay my hard earned when it's a really special group. It's like I LEGITIMIZE my fanosity.

I listen to DJANGO all the time (seems like)and I can imagine what it must have been like to see them cats do it up.

So iffen I get the chance i would like to check out them NIGHTcats just to see how they do it.

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

If these guys come to your area, GO AND SEE THEM! They're a phenomenal live act. Charlie is a monster guitarist on so many different styles and Rick Estrin is a great singer/harmonica player and a tremendous, funny showman (he writes great songs, too); his sales patter for their merchandise that they sell between sets is more entertaining than the stage show of a lot of acts. You should be able to see them some time soon, because I think they must tour constantly; even though they're a Cali band, it seems like they're in my neck of the woods every 7-8 months or so. I've seen them over half a dozen times (the last time was about a week ago), and they've been great every time. Like I said before, if these guys come to your area, GO!

P.S.

If anyone learns of a tab site that has their songs, I'd also appreciate it if you'd pass it on and post it here.

Wow! That is so COOL! They're from here. At least they used to be. I know Rick still lives here at least. I've done several shows playing on the same bill. Great guys!! I forget how successful they've become. I was in Vancover a couple of years ago and saw an international music magazine with them on the cover. Made it feel like we were in Sacramento!

Yeah those guys are legit.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Archived