Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai MP11SE and MP7SE

ElmerJFudd

http://www.kawai-global.com/news/kawai-announces-mp11se-mp7se-stage-pianos/

These special edition models retain the core functionality of the original instruments, while adding new 88-key sample sets for the flagship Shigeru Kawai SK-EX Concert and mid-sized SK-5 Studio grand pianos. In addition, the MP11SE includes a brand new, high-quality GFP-3 triple pedal unit, while the MP7SE incorporates Kawais class-leading Responsive Hammer III plastic-key keyboard action. Rounding off the upgrades, these enhanced MPSE instruments also possess a remodelled side arm design, matching the classic styling and luxurious black polish finish of the leading VPC1 virtual piano controller.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been thinking about getting an MP11, but then I consider that the model was released in 2014, which means it might be a new MP within a year? Who knows, but it might be worth waiting.

On the other hand, my parents still have an MP9000 in their house (which they bought at my behest), and I still enjoy the heck out of it even if the sonic quality is dated.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The weight on the SE went up almost 3.5 lbs. from the MP11- not that anyone who buys one will be actually schlepping it regularly.

The two new Shigeru samples on the new console model sound pretty good , the little I've heard. I've never cared for the Kawai DP samples in the past. I was close to pulling the trigger on the MP11 in '14 but I couldn't get past the sound.

Indisputably the best action in a stage piano on the market.

If I were coming to the MP11 for the first time - looking for something for mostly practice at home, couldn't afford the Avant Grand, or simply can't justify paying that much for a DP, and maybe would just be using it for that special studio/club/concert date - it might be a good time to get into one of these.

I find it strange they dropped the headphone jack - and now only available through an app ?

I need to pick up the Little Labs Monotor anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

The 7 looks to be sporting all the improvements that showed up in the ES8 last update. RHIII and the new Shigeru samples. The ES8 plays really nice compared to Casio PX and Yamaha P boards, but pricier. Both the 11 and 7 look slick with the VPC-1 style end caps.

Would love to see Kawai work on getting weight down on the MP7 class stage pianos. I guess it's a trade off for quality of action - but somehow Yamaha did it on CP4.

I can only imagine that Kawai sees their unique feature as being the action so they focus on those discerning customers/institutions over the giggers. The ES-110 is light but really aimed at students and budget conscious hobbyists who don't feel the Casio or Yamaha offerings are for them.

I guess I misunderstood. So the SE IS the successor to the MP11 that I was anticipating.

Hmmm . . . ok, I think I'll have a decision coming.

No way I'd be hauling this thing around. I need a good digi piano for practice because of my family environment. It's all about keeping my chops up, so action is more important than sound.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I need a good digi piano for practice because of my family environment. It's all about keeping my chops up, so action is more important than sound.

Totally understand. If that's the case maybe wait until the SE has been out a few months and look for a deal on existing stock of the MP11.

It's been some time since I played the MP11 but I recall liking the second (?) voice- Jazz grand (I think it was) over the main default piano, whatever that was called.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Hello Dave,

The weight on the SE went up almost 3.5 lbs. from the MP11- not that anyone who buys one will be particularly schlepping it regularly.

The increased weight is largely due to the larger wood side arm design.

In addition, the MP7SE's RHIII action has additional counterweights in all 88 keys, adding an extra 0.5kg or so.

I find it strange they dropped the headphone jack - and now only available through an app ?

Is this a reference to the MP11SE/MP7SE?

If so, I can assure you that both instruments retain a headphone jack, which is controlled via the Master Volume fader.

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

In addition, the MP7SE's RHIII action has additional counterweights in all 88 keys, adding an extra 0.5kg or so.

Kawai's website lists the weight of the original MP7 as 21kg, whereas the SE (again, according to the company's website) comes in at 22.5kg.

Personally, I have no wish to ever gig again with a piano much over the 18kg mark. Obviously, Kawai do make lighter alternatives.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

Haha! :) I was just thinking, less than ten minutes ago - isn't it time for new Kawai stage pianos...? And then I saw this thread!

I see a Kawai MP7SE in my near future! :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Kawai's website lists the weight of the original MP7 as 21kg, whereas the SE (again, according to the company's website) comes in at 22.5kg.

Yes, I believe it's 1kg for the larger black polish side arms, and 0.5kg for the keyboard counterweights.

Personally, I have no wish to ever gig again with a piano much over the 18kg mark. Obviously, Kawai do make lighter alternatives.

I understand. I'm hopeful that this is something that can be addressed in the future.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Personally, I have no wish to ever gig again with a piano much over the 18kg mark.

I understand. I'm hopeful that this is something that can be addressed in the future.

I really wish so.

I gigged for about 12 years with the original ES1. Awesome board, and the weight was perfect. But my back was 12 years younger, when I switched to Nord portability was one of the issues.

But I always regretted abandoning Kawai actions, I'd love to see a new premium Kawai under 20 kgs (a la CP4), I'd buy it in a minute!

Archived