Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland VR-09 vs. VR-09 B ??

heavy_keys

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, there is apparently no difference once the 1.11 firmware is installed in the old model.

But I'm willing to bet that won't be true when the next firmware ships.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

The manual/sound list/etc is available for firmware 1.03. The 1.11 firmware is brand new, hang on a little while and maybe an updated manual will come. Don't count on it, though. Nothing major has changed except the distortion is improved and a much better Leslie. Oh, and some looper changes. Nothing major.

EDIT - The new manuals are up........ https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/v-combo_vr-09/owners_manuals/

MOI - which demo did you see? The one from Roland is terrible. The distortion in this board IS bad -- but better than 1.03 -- and should not be used above the first position IMO. This guy has it cranked.

From a quick skim, this demo is more representative:

Who is "they"? Does the owner's manual concur?

I bought a new 09 last May. Should I just update mine to ver. 1.11, or might it be worth it to buy the 09b? The new model, (09b, not the 730) apparently has 22 more sounds than the 09 does, and seems to have an easier-to-see control panel overall, compared to the 09. Thinking I might be able to sell mine between now and Christmas, and hopefully not lose a lot off what I

paid for it.

MOI - which demo did you see? The one from Roland is terrible. The distortion in this board IS bad -- but better than 1.03 -- and should not be used above the first position IMO. This guy has it cranked.

From a quick skim, this demo is more representative:

Thanks, yes, it was the one from Roland. Not just bad-sounding, but a bad demo reel in general. I'll check your link out.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Conclusion (so far):

- By ver. 1.03, VR-09 System Program got 25 more sounds.

- By VR-730 (only), the System Program got 23 more sounds.

This question remains:

- These new sounds are only new programs developed upon the same wavetable or they employ new samples stored via firmware update?

PS: I assume that the old ones (even in 730) can't sound better (especially the AP's) if they have the same names...

agitato: There is no question, upgrade to 1.11. It's a huge upgrade. Make sure you back up your registrations first.

I doubt it's a new processor, it's probably all the same electronics, the changes seem to be all software. Unless I'm mistaken, you can add all the VR09B features to the VR09 via a firmware update. The only physical difference seem to be things like colors and typography. If there's an internal difference, I haven't seen any indication of it.

I don't know whether different layering options would require a different processor, but it would obviously require changes to the OS and interface. What's an additional layering option you'd like to see (obviously within the constraints of the existing hard control arrangement)? I don't remember any particular shortcoming there, though I didn't play with layering much when I had one. (There is the limitation of only one set of effects regardless of whether you're playing one or two split/layered sounds, that hasn't changed.)

There are a lot of things I"d like to see, which should require nothing but OS tweaks. I'm hopeful that, with the introduction of new models as evidence that the line is not yet abandoned, we might still see some of them, though I'm not counting on it. I summarized them in the second half of message #2878597 at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2878597

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Conclusion (so far):

This question remains:

- These new sounds are only new programs developed upon the same wavetable or they employ new samples stored via firmware update?

PS: I assume that the old ones (even in 730) can't sound better (especially the AP's) if they have the same names...

Anyone??

Conclusion (so far):

This question remains:

Anyone??

Nobody knows, I guess...

I figure I have the VR-09 A.... because it came with the v1.0 software..... and I agree with others on here that the Upgrade was a good idea.

However, I made a video on Youtube highlighting things you should consider before buying this board.

As far as I know there is no way to replace or expand the samples and all changes to tones (which can only be made with an Apple ipad) are stored in the Registrations but change the actual factory parameters of those tones in memory (it is always possible to get back the originals with factory reset or you could back them up individually to the memory stick before editing).

This board has awesome sounds for the price point, but is better used 'as is'..... if like me, you like to have total user memory flexibility to create your own sounds (or maybe even load your own samples).... the Roland FA-06 is the better buy and I bought it within months of getting the VR-09 (although I have not sold my VR-09.... I am sorry that I bought it given it's limited editing capabilities.... I will not be buying an ipad to edit (I dislike Apple) and I had hoped they would release the software as an app on the Android platform as well..... but no such luck (up to this point)

Here is the link to my VR-09 considerations.... "Before you buy..."

The VR-09 is a fantastic instrument for the price point. It's going to be around for a very long time, even with its 'crap' key-bed, which really isn't too bad for someone to work around who has the talent.

Rather have a Hammond of course, but that's life.

Archived