Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anyone tried NYXL strings yet -- especially 5-string?

Mark Schmieder

Curious about these strings, and it's hard to find reviews, discussions, or video/audio demos.

What little I found today, did not encourage me to try them, but there's a special right now at JustStrings so I thought I might consider them for my Yamaha 5-string BB-Bass (P/J passive).

It seems like they might be too dirty/aggro oriented, but that may be a reflection of who has done demos so far, as I have yet to find an actual comparison shootout except with standard XL's, which I don't like (I only like D'addario bass strings so far as flatwounds vs. roundwounds, but prefer that brand on most guitars).

Currently I use Infeld Superalloys on the BB-Bass, and love the TI PowerBass strings on my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. My other J-Bass and my P-Bass have D'addario Chrome Flats, which have become my favourites after many trials.

My guitar tech considers NYXL to be the best strings ever, but he may be referring more to guitar than bass. On paper, they look like they might compare to the Infeld Superalloys or even the Rotosound Swing Set.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I found a TB discussion but it's 13 pages of mostly speculation and BS as only a few people actually got and tried them. Most despise them.

Less bright, more growly, higher tension, and more volume output, are the common descriptions whether people like them or not (in other words, those are objective descriptions but some people PREFER less bright e.g.).

Those are all attributes that would diminish their applicability to the high-end Yamaha BB-Bass (the low-end BB-Bass is entirely different), which is an EXTREMELY growly instrument that needs to be tamed at least a little bit via string choice. It's also VERY dark.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I've used the NYXL strings on several guitars, and quite like them. I find them a little stiffer than regular D'Adarrio XL and DR strings, but not necessarily in a bad way. They do last a little bit longer, from my experience. I'm considering trying the bass versions on my Schecter and/or Les Paul 5 strings next time I change strings. Might be by the end of the year! I'll let you know if I try them.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I use them on one of my Jazz basses and I really like them.

They have a rather unique tone to them that really works but is difficult to describe, they are darker than stainless steel but more articulate than typical nickel, really almost a combination of the two.

As for stiffness, I use the heavy gauge 50-105 set and while they are stiffer than my usual Sunbeams I don't find them any worse than most normal gauge, hex core roundwounds, they certainly are not as stiff as Chromes.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Thanks for the feedback. I think these are probably not for me, on my current basses, as I'm really happy with the D'addario hybrid gauge rounds on my Geddy Lee and with the Infeld Superalloys on my Yammie BB.

If I still had an excess of basses, I might have one I could offer up for a trial, but I refuse to switch back from flats on my 60's-style J or my 50's-style P.

I have a set on a Squier 5 string Jazz. It's meant for slapping and has a resin/plastic fretboard, so normal strings all sound like the zingiest brand new Rotos. NYXLs tame it a tiny bit, but to be honest, it might just all be in my head.

And by "meant for slapping" I meant that it literally had a little tag on one of the switches that said "engage for slapping".

"For instance" is not proof.

I asked my techie last night, as he's pushing them big, but he said he hasn't tried the bass version yet.

I was considering the standard guitar strings from the NYXL series, but likewise can't think of which guitar I'd try them on as I like the balanced tension sets on my Tele and on my thin-line, and use TI's on almost everything else.

One possible candidate might be the Strat though, which currently has 9's (standard, not balanced).

If I upgrade my Yamaha BB-Bass for the second time, for the new higher-end model that just came out, then I might have a candidate for trying the NYXL bass strings.

But it seems a common gripe is that the low "B" string on the 5-string set is not well-liked, even if the top four strings are popular with some players.

I use D'addario on almost everything at this point, after many years as primarily a TI person who occasionally experimented and/or might have GHS on an odd instrument here and there.

The NYXL strings will probably expand to more choices soon, as they seem popular and also as they are likely going to eventually replace the entire current line-up of nickel-plated steel strings.

I just have this sneaky suspicion though, that they work better on "modern" vs. "traditional" styled instruments, and for high-gain metal styles. I have gone the opposite direction myself.

The new BB-series is said to be brighter, so if I switch, then indeed that would be a good bass to try out the NYXL's.

Archived