Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A100 tube questions

Dave Bryce

A few dopey n00b questions:

How important is it to replace tubes if they look like they're working?

Some of the replacement tubes I got either don't exactly fit in the holes (the last two on the preamp, 6x4WA and 12AX7WA), or don't fit inside the metal sheaths.

What the hell are the metal sheaths? Why do some tubes have them and some tubes not?

The tubes I got for the reverb amp are confusing. The set has one 5Y3GT, two 12AX7, and two EL-84; however, the second EL-84 slot has a metal sheath and the tube is too big for the sheath; plus, the pictures I find seem to show the last two tubes being different, not the same. It didn't have tubes there when I got it, so I have no frame of reference.

Are Hammond tubes supposedly any better? What des better mean, anyway? :D

Can someone point me towards documentation that shows which tubes go where - specifically, the AO-28 set? I'm pretty sure I got it right, but I wanna be sure.

:idk::pop:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How important is it to replace tubes if they look like they're working?

The tubes in Hammond organs run rather "lazily", nowhere near as hard as guitar amps. So they last a lot longer. Original tubes are STILL found in Hammonds dating WAY back.

Some of the replacement tubes I got either don't exactly fit in the holes (the last two on the preamp, 6x4WA and 12AX7WA), or don't fit inside the metal sheaths.

Don't force them, they're oriented for a REASON. Refer to the tube chart provided above ^^^

What the hell are the metal sheaths? Why do some tubes have them and some tubes not?

They are shields, like those used in audio cables. They are used on the preamp tubes with the highest gain (12AX7 and similar), usually the input stage tubes.

The tubes I got for the reverb amp are confusing. The set has one 5Y3GT, two 12AX7, and two EL-84; however, the second EL-84 slot has a metal sheath and the tube is too big for the sheath; plus, the pictures I find seem to show the last two tubes being different, not the same. It didn't have tubes there when I got it, so I have no frame of reference.

EL84 is a power tube and does not need the sheath. I'd say a previous owner was monkeying around and put the sheaths back on the wrong tubes.

5Y3GT is the rectifier tube and also needs no sheath. Replacing this tube in an old Hammond is highly recommended.

The sheaths go on the 12AX7s.

Are Hammond tubes supposedly any better? What des better mean, anyway? :D

Original stock tubes were Amperex (later branded with the Hammond name). They are ideal tubes for Hammond organ for their tone and they were more consistent between tubes. You won't hurt anything with other brands, but the tone will change.

It's safe to say that Amperex tubes aren't in demand by rabid tone hound guitar players...

Let's just say to hear Amperex tubes compared to others in a Hammond is to understand. Even in the modern XK3 clonewheels they can make a difference.

I had one wrong - should have been 12BH7A in the V3 slot. :facepalm:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived