Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carl Palmer's ELP Experience

Delta

Perhaps I should be posting this on the keyboard forum also. I just read a review on Glide Magazine regarding the recent Yestival Concert in Phoenix which opened with the subject title, followed by Todd Rundgren's new band and the latest version of Yes. Evidently, according to the review, Carl's band consisted of a bass player and guitarist and of course the master himself at percussion. They did instrumentals only. The half hour set was: Hoedown, Karen Evil 9: First Impression- Part 2, Knife Edge, Lucky Man and Fanfare For the Common Man. The guitarist did all of Keith's parts. Being a huge ELP fan and a guitarist, I'm definitely intrigued. One of my favorite Emerson solos that I've played myself is from the song "From the Beginning" from the Trilogy album. It's always fun for me to play keyboard solos on guitar, kind of takes me to a different place. I play keyboards also, so the transition is fairly easy for me. Anyway, I'd love see this band if they're ever in my area.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps I should be posting this on the keyboard forum also. I just read a review on Glide Magazine regarding the recent Yestival Concert in Phoenix which opened with the subject title, followed by Todd Rundgren's new band and the latest version of Yes. Evidently, according to the review, Carl's band consisted of a bass player and guitarist and of course the master himself at percussion. They did instrumentals only. The half hour set was: Hoedown, Karen Evil 9: First Impression- Part 2, Knife Edge, Lucky Man and Fanfare For the Common Man. The guitarist did all of Keith's parts. Being a huge ELP fan and a guitarist, I'm definitely intrigued. One of my favorite Emerson solos that I've played myself is from the song "From the Beginning" from the Trilogy album. It's always fun for me to play keyboard solos on guitar, kind of takes me to a different place. I play keyboards also, so the transition is fairly easy for me. Anyway, I'd love see this band if they're ever in my area.

That sounds really cool!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

New "power trio" eh? Trying to imagine "Karn Evil" done with that kind of line-up. But, no need to pre-judge, and given today's available effects, it might be pulled off quite well enough.

Any idea who the guitarist is?

I liked your statement about playing keyboard solos on guitar. I was thinking about that sort of thing yesterday while listening to my CD copy of "Oh Yeah?" by the Jan Hammer group. What a couple of those tunes would sound like if a guitar played the solos Jan was doing. BTW....a friend of mine who moved into jazz says he tries to fashion his solos based on various solo techniques used by trumpets and sax. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Sounds like a great show!

Saw John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin fame, doing some of his newer Music, and some old Zepplin tunes as instrumentals, with a power trio, a while back. Very impressive.

Side note to Whitefang: Copping lines from Sax & Horn players is key to crafting great Guitar lines. Jazz Vocal lines, too.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

There are two versions (main stream) to a tune I started out on called Honky Tonk. One is the guitar version and the other is the Sax version. In our little Ventures band, my buddy brought in one of the Sax leads being played on guitar. I did the Sax answering part, then we both did the Sax harmony part. It really added a new twist to the Venture's version... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

This Bill Doggett version is the one I'm more familiar with--

https://youtu.be/5vqFrt3ZuwY

It was released in two parts, one guitar and pt.2 mostly sax. Could these be the "two versions" you're mentioning Larry? ;) And BTW--

Doggett was a piano/organist. And out of the couple or so versions out there is one with him doing it on his Hammond. :)

Whitefang

The Doggett version is the sax version I was talking about, the guitar version I was talking about is by Roy Clark:

[video:youtube]

It's where I first learned to play the tune. The Ventures also do the guitar version which is the one I play:

[video:youtube]

And since I don't play sax, I get to put my own guitar twist on it ! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I think most of us novices back in those times learned "Honky Tonk" early on. ;) At least the opening bars.

And knowing what we've heard in jazz, blues, R&B and R'n'R over the years, it wouldn't surprise me if Doggett heard something similar some years earlier befor working it into the tune. ;)

Whitefang

• 1 month later...
New "power trio" eh? Trying to imagine "Karn Evil" done with that kind of line-up. But, no need to pre-judge, and given today's available effects, it might be pulled off quite well enough.

Any idea who the guitarist is?

I liked your statement about playing keyboard solos on guitar. I was thinking about that sort of thing yesterday while listening to my CD copy of "Oh Yeah?" by the Jan Hammer group. What a couple of those tunes would sound like if a guitar played the solos Jan was doing. BTW....a friend of mine who moved into jazz says he tries to fashion his solos based on various solo techniques used by trumpets and sax. ;)

Whitefang

Info on the guitarist Fang. His name's Paul Bielatowicz. On page 73 of December's GP issue, which just came out, there's a transcription of Hoedown by him. He has a website.

Thanks. I don't subscribe to GP and can't seem to find it anymore where I used to pick up an occasional copy, so I'll have to see what I can do about that. ;)

Whitefang

• 7 months later...

I recently saw Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy Band in Fort Lauderdale. They opened for The Alan Parson's Project with an hour long set of ELP instrumental classics. About 90% of the keyboard parts were played by the guitarist. The remainder were played by the bass player with a portable keyboard. It was a very impressive hour of music by a trio of fine musicians. It was very fun to watch, especially for an old ELP fan such as myself.

...I'm definitely intrigued. One of my favorite Emerson solos that I've played myself is from the song "From the Beginning" from the Trilogy album. It's always fun for me to play keyboard solos on guitar...

Hmmm...maybe time for a gtr in that post-ELP band ?!

d=halfnote

I recently saw Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy Band in Fort Lauderdale. They opened for The Alan Parson's Project with an hour long set of ELP instrumental classics. About 90% of the keyboard parts were played by the guitarist. The remainder were played by the bass player with a portable keyboard. It was a very impressive hour of music by a trio of fine musicians. It was very fun to watch, especially for an old ELP fan such as myself.

Well, HELL....

I didn't even know The Alan Parson's Project was still goin' around. :/

I suppose once the local ROCK station gets past it's current "post punk" and "Death Metal" fetish and plays a wider variety, I might tune in more and keep better abreast of this kind of stuff. :eek:

Whitefang

I wonder why ppl don't investigate musical sources other than the local radio station whose they seemingly don't enjoy.

The world's brimming w/more sources for info than ever before.

d=halfnote

Archived